• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara M

I called out of work the day before my vacation because of panic attacks. No doctors note but the first time I've done it. Upon returning from vacation I texted my boss asking what time she wanted me to come in the next day. I was told I had to have a meeting with the owner before I could return to work. They cancelled and rescheduled two apts. I wanted 9 work days before the meeting occurred. They offered me a hour cut or to become a sub. I chose the sub position because I had already went on several interviews and I didn't want to quit. I'm just wondering if they were allowed to make me wait like that? Editing to add.... They also didn't pay me overtime. They put the hours in a vacation fund. I was also made to work 12 and 10 hour shifts with no break on several occasions.

PayrollHRGuy

They can make you wait as long s they want for a meeting.

They can not not pay overtime that is owed. But I'd need you to list your hours worked and know your pay period to help further with that issue.

There is no federal law on required breaks for most workers so I can't address that without knowing what state you're are in.

Sara M

They can make you wait as long s they want for a meeting.

They can not not pay overtime that is owed. But I'd need you to list your hours worked and know your pay period to help further with that issue.

There is no federal law on required breaks for most workers so I can't address that without knowing what state you're are in.
I get paid every two weeks at a measly 8.00 an hour. 40 hours a week. They times I got overtime I worked 88 hours one time and 87 the other (for two weeks).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the facts you have presented, yes, they were allowed to make you wait.

In what state are you?

PayrollHRGuy

How much did you actually work per week in those two 2 week periods. When I say worked I mean worked. Don't include vacation or holiday.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Georgia is a very bad state to file a wage claim. You can do one of two things; you can file a wage claim for unpaid overtime with the Federal DOL, or you can file a lawsuit. Filing with the DOL is protected activity; filing a lawsuit is not.

In your state, and in a frightening number of others, no breaks of any kind are required regardless of how many hours you work.

Sara M

Georgia is a very bad state to file a wage claim. You can do one of two things; you can file a wage claim for unpaid overtime with the Federal DOL, or you can file a lawsuit. Filing with the DOL is protected activity; filing a lawsuit is not.

In your state, and in a frightening number of others, no breaks of any kind are required regardless of how many hours you work.
Thank you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">