• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights to getting copies of x-rays & photos?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meg

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot on here to ask but here goes... A family member was killed in an auto accident and I need to know if there is any way with out going to court for me to obtain copies of the state police accident photos and the cause of death x-rays that were taken at the hospital? I have seen these items but would like my own copy if there is a way to get them. This is in Pennsylvania.

JETX

Most obviously, have you asked for them, in writing??

I don't believe that you would have too much problem getting a copy of the State Police photos because they may be public record. Additionally, as a family member, they might make them available to you for the asking. However, there might be some concern regarding possible litigation issues if there is a possibility of the state being blamed.

More of a problem with the x-rays. Primarily, they are considered the property of the hospital, with a secondary ownership issue being to the patient. Since the patient is deceased, the estate might be successful in getting a copy of them. Have the estate ask for a copy. Again, the hospital has probably would have a much greater concern for liability, making this a much harder issue to resolve. This might require the services of an attorney or a court order.

M

meg

police photos

Thank you for your reply, however, I have asked for a copy of the police accident photos and was told that they could not give me a copy. I don't think they are public record because they show my deceased sister in her car and I had a hard time just getting them to let me see them. It is very important to me to have a copy of them for personal reasons, I have no interest or for that matter I have no court case against anyone involved, it was her fault. Is there anyone else out there that can help? PLEASE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">