• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WHat are the chances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Txgirl31

:( What is the name of your state?

Texas

I have a question. I was married for 11 yrs and last year my husband threw me out. We have been seperated and trying to get divorced for a year now. I was considering moving to another city 7 hours away and now he has placed a restraining order against me leaving untill our court date on Jan 17th. Would a judge actually require me to stay even if it is in the best interest of the children to move? Could he actually take my 3 kids from me. I am beyond upset

CJane

Texas

I have a question. I was married for 11 yrs and last year my husband threw me out. We have been seperated and trying to get divorced for a year now. I was considering moving to another city 7 hours away and now he has placed a restraining order against me leaving untill our court date on Jan 17th. Would a judge actually require me to stay even if it is in the best interest of the children to move? Could he actually take my 3 kids from me. I am beyond upset
A judge will figure out what the best interests of the children are, and order accordingly.

What, in your opinion, makes the move so much in their best interests that it outweighs less time with the other parent? And, if the roles were reversed, would you still find the move to be in their best interests (ie: If dad had custody and was moving them for the exact same reasons you want to)?

ceara19

Texas

yes a Judge can restrict the relocation of the children. The thing about "the best interests of the children" is that the JUDGE will now be the one that gets to decide what that is and it almost always starts with regular access to BOTH parents.

nextwife

What specialized career do you have that only has job availability in a place seven hours away? College professor, environmental researcher, apparel manufacture manager? What type of employment are you seeking that can't be had in your current city?

Txgirl31

best for kids

I live in a small town in south texas and i am living with my parents. THe job market here is horrific. I have been looking for another job for the past 6 months and have not found anything that will pay be better. My oldest child who is 11 is dyslexic and is having a lot of toruble at school. The dyslexic assistance the offer is pathetic and my daughter is suffering. This other city has more job opportunities for me and i have looked into the shcools and they offer great dyslexic curriculum that would help my daughter so very much. My ex was always a weekend dad and now after 11 yrs he wants to prevent me from seeking something better. In a yr that we have been seperated and i have been trying to get divorced he has not once given me child support. If the tables were turned and it would be best for my kids I WOULD LET THEM GO . If i know my kids would be better off i would let them go. He works 12 hr days and he was rarely there for them. Now he becomes the victim. I have family here and where i want to go. The children will still see him... i expect him to see them... that is his right but I am not able to make it here and i feel like i am drowning....He feeds my kids lies and he manipulates and give my daughter and my son the guilt trip issue. The kids have gone through so much and now he is playing with their minds... i dont want that for them. I have been really really nice about a lot of things and he is just being difficult and wants to have control of me throught the children.... that is how i feel and how i see it. I have found this last year very difficult and have done as best as i can. I had discussed moving with the kids and why and they understood and my daughter was especially excited because she would get more help with her learning disablility and my son and youngest daughter were looking forward to it. Their concern was of course, "what about dad?" I reassured them they would still see him and we would work something out... well now here i am ... he told the judge last week ( his attorney and him went to speak to the judge) that i was moving this week so they put a temporary restraining order from me leaving the county with kids. I had no such plans...to move this week. I would like to when i can work the divorce out first...

Silverplum

I'm just going to answer/comment on a few pieces of your post. And let's be upfront here: often there's a boyfriend waiting in the new area -- is this the case for you? If so, that's going to be a major point. If not, fine and good.

I live in a small town in south texas and i am living with my parents. THe job market here is horrific. I have been looking for another job for the past 6 months and have not found anything that will pay be better.
Ok, I guess.

Txgirl31 said:
My oldest child who is 11 is dyslexic and is having a lot of toruble at school. The dyslexic assistance the offer is pathetic and my daughter is suffering.
Is this the school she's been attending all along?

Txgirl31 said:
This other city has more job opportunities for me and i have looked into the shcools and they offer great dyslexic curriculum that would help my daughter so very much.
You'd probably need a firm offer to even begin to make a case for moving.

Txgirl31 said:
My ex was always a weekend dad
Making a living for the family?

Txgirl31 said:
and now after 11 yrs he wants to prevent me from seeking something better.
Wanting to have consistent access to his children?

Txgirl31 said:
In a yr that we have been seperated and i have been trying to get divorced he has not once given me child support.
Have you filed for temporary support? If not, why not? If so, what happened? He does not have to give you $$ till it's ordered.

Txgirl31 said:
If the tables were turned and it would be best for my kids I WOULD LET THEM GO . If i know my kids would be better off i would let them go.
Does he know they'd be better off? Does he see things from your point of view?

Txgirl31 said:
He works 12 hr days and he was rarely there for them.
Making a living for the family?

Txgirl31 said:
Now he becomes the victim. I have family here and where i want to go. The children will still see him... i expect him to see them... that is his right but I am not able to make it here and i feel like i am drowning....He feeds my kids lies and he manipulates and give my daughter and my son the guilt trip issue. The kids have gone through so much and now he is playing with their minds... i dont want that for them. I have been really really nice about a lot of things and he is just being difficult and wants to have control of me throught the children.... that is how i feel and how i see it. I have found this last year very difficult and have done as best as i can.
These are mostly ~feelings~, not legal issues.

Txgirl31 said:
I had discussed moving with the kids and why and they understood and my daughter was especially excited because she would get more help with her learning disablility and my son and youngest daughter were looking forward to it.
Not really a good idea to discuss adult legal issues w/kids, but whatever.

Txgirl31 said:
Their concern was of course, "what about dad?" I reassured them they would still see him and we would work something out... well now here i am ... he told the judge last week ( his attorney and him went to speak to the judge) that i was moving this week so they put a temporary restraining order from me leaving the county with kids. I had no such plans...to move this week. I would like to when i can work the divorce out first...
Dad has every legal right to move to keep his kids nearby.

Txgirl31

best for the kids

My attorney never indicated that i had to request or file for him to give me money. And no I am not moving because there is a boyfriend. I work full time and can barely make it on my pay. I have gone to job interviews in this new city and have had job offers but i can not accept until i know where i stand with my divorce. I am not trying to prevent him from seeing the kids... i want to be able to provide to them a better life. I cant do that. Living paycheck ( and at times not having enough) to paycheck is not my idea of cutting it. I am very much invovlved with my kids from the moment they were born. My ex was never around and used to travel alot. As i said he was the weekend dad. And i always made excuses for him not being around. and now he drags the kids into this mess. I am so against the kids being involved in this but all he sees is that i am moving for my benefit. To say, that he is completely clueless on my daughters dyslexia. He knows about it but he has never once been to a parent teacher meeting with me for her or my other son. He has never attending their school functions or plays or my lil one's (when she was) in day care plays and such. He was too busy working. All i want to be able to give my kids more than i am able to now. I am primary custodian of the kids and 3 kids require a lot. IF i knew for a fact he would dedicate and do what i do for my kids i would let him keep them here but he wont... he never has. My daughter (11) is at an age where she is growing up and needs me... she wont tell her father many things.. she doesnt like to see him sometimes because he drills her with questions. I dont want to take their father away i just want something better for them.

casa

My attorney never indicated that i had to request or file for him to give me money. And no I am not moving because there is a boyfriend. I work full time and can barely make it on my pay. I have gone to job interviews in this new city and have had job offers but i can not accept until i know where i stand with my divorce. I am not trying to prevent him from seeing the kids... i want to be able to provide to them a better life. I cant do that. Living paycheck ( and at times not having enough) to paycheck is not my idea of cutting it. I am very much invovlved with my kids from the moment they were born. My ex was never around and used to travel alot. As i said he was the weekend dad. And i always made excuses for him not being around. and now he drags the kids into this mess. I am so against the kids being involved in this but all he sees is that i am moving for my benefit. To say, that he is completely clueless on my daughters dyslexia. He knows about it but he has never once been to a parent teacher meeting with me for her or my other son. He has never attending their school functions or plays or my lil one's (when she was) in day care plays and such. He was too busy working. All i want to be able to give my kids more than i am able to now. I am primary custodian of the kids and 3 kids require a lot. IF i knew for a fact he would dedicate and do what i do for my kids i would let him keep them here but he wont... he never has. My daughter (11) is at an age where she is growing up and needs me... she wont tell her father many things.. she doesnt like to see him sometimes because he drills her with questions. I dont want to take their father away i just want something better for them.
Get copies of the paperwork from your daughter's meetings re; her disability, and any sign in sheets from daycare which all show your name & not his. Provide these to your attorney.

Get information re; the school you propose to enroll your child in if you are allowed to move and provide that to your attorney as well- in order to demonstrate to the court the advantages for your child.

Same with employment, gather employment opportunities in the area you propose to move and be able to compare/contrast the differences in wages/salary & opportunity.

DO NOT move until the court makes it's final ruling/decision re; the move. Just because you are temporarily blocked from moving, does not mean you will not be allowed to move.

You won't get child support unless you file for it. If your attorney hasn't filed for you to have Primary Physical Custody & Child Support- they should be. You will definately need to file for support before a court can award it to you. You will also need that in the event you are allowed to move...as it's highly possible you will be responsible for all or part of the cost of transportation when the children visit Dad. (Since you are the one moving & thus creating the distance)

nextwife

Was dad providing the majority of financial support for the family? If so, then he needed to work alot more hours, than he would have if you were contributing comparable financial support. In other words, if dad had to work a lot to support your and the children's lifestyle, then he couldn't be a round for those school things ect.

A dad partying or hanging out at bars shows disinterest, whereas a dad working his butt off so mom can mostly stay home, shows he's trying his best to provide for his family, and should not be punished for giving mom the opportunity to be free to attend all those school events and meetings..

Silverplum

Was dad providing the majority of financial support for the family? If so, then he needed to work alot more hours, than he would have if you were contributing comparable financial support. In other words, if dad had to work a lot to support your and the children's lifestyle, then he couldn't be a round for those school things ect.

A dad partying or hanging out at bars shows disinterest, whereas a dad working his butt off so mom can mostly stay home, shows he's trying his best to provide for his family, and should not be punished for giving mom the opportunity to be free to attend all those school events and meetings..
Yep. I noticed Mom avoided answering those direct qs...:rolleyes: ;)

ceara19

There is an action in front of the court in the county that you currently reside in. The Judge is NOT going to allow EITHER of you to remove the children from that courts jurisdiction unless there are dire circumstances, like a medical emergency. Since jurisdiction has already been established, the case will remain in it's current location until such time as BOTH parties move outside of it's jurisdiction or the court allows a change of jurisdiction (which, in Texas, is NOT going to happen).

When one party asks for residential restrictions to be PERMINANTLY ordered, it is almost ALWAYS granted. Because of the size of the state, Texas generally restricts the parents from moving the children out of the county or a contingent county. Being allowed to move 7 hours away, without giving the court substantial PROOF that having a close, regular relationship with their father would actually be HARMFUL to the children, is pretty much out of the question.

The income issue won't cut it because you have yet to petition for child support. If you have trouble making ends meet, that is where you need to start. The "my daughter NEEDS me" isn't going to get it either. Wait another year or 2 and she won't be talking to YOU about everything either. That is simply the nature of a pubescent female. If you're really lucky, she'll stop talking to you all together between the ages of 13 - 17. During those years, they tend to have nothing nice to say to their parents anyway, so it's not like you'd miss out on anything important.;)

You are still married to dad (there's no such thing as legal separation in Texas). If finances are a problem, petition the court for temporary child support and spousal support. I really think that your money and effort can be put to use in much better ways then fighting a losing battle by trying to relocate with the children. If, after the divorce has been final for a while and child support and possibly spousal support has been ordered (at least a year), you STILL can't make ends meet, THEN petition the court to relocate. At this point, you can't show the court that you have made an HONEST EFFORT, using all of the resources available to you, to make things work in your current location. There are options at your disposal (such as support) that will need to be used BEFORE you have a shot at being allowed to move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">