• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What books do attorneys reference for federal court cases?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suitandtie

Firstly, if this post is illegal or against the forum's rules or posted in the wrong section, I apologize in advance. I am new to this board. Please let me know what part is illegal and I will edit it if possible.

I am a huge lover of books, and have, over my life thus far, always tried to allocate about 3%-10% of my income to the purchase of books. Recently, I noticed that I have few books about law. Ironically, law books are probably more useful than the ones I had been collecting, now that I think about it. Owning law books might help me get a second opinion about issues I entrust to counsel. Also, a friend of mine suggested I obtain a book called "American Law Reports", or ALR for short. Needless to say, I was saying to myself I need to make some book purchases. But I was curious which ones would be most helpful for one type of law in particular: federal court. My friend said there might be an ALR just for that, but wasn't sure.

What books are most-being used by lawyers who practice in the federal court system? Any comments would be appreciated. Ebay is selling the vol. 3 of the ALR for $20. Is that too old to be worth having?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just a reminder - here's the OP's other thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-litigation-46/can-they-start-lawsuit-before-proof-summons-has-been-submitted-610831.html

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Firstly, if this post is illegal or against the forum's rules or posted in the wrong section, I apologize in advance. I am new to this board. Please let me know what part is illegal and I will edit it if possible.

I am a huge lover of books, and have, over my life thus far, always tried to allocate about 3%-10% of my income to the purchase of books. Recently, I noticed that I have few books about law. Ironically, law books are probably more useful than the ones I had been collecting, now that I think about it. Owning law books might help me get a second opinion about issues I entrust to counsel. Also, a friend of mine suggested I obtain a book called "American Law Reports", or ALR for short. Needless to say, I was saying to myself I need to make some book purchases. But I was curious which ones would be most helpful for one type of law in particular: federal court. My friend said there might be an ALR just for that, but wasn't sure.

What books are most-being used by lawyers who practice in the federal court system? Any comments would be appreciated. Ebay is selling the vol. 3 of the ALR for $20. Is that too old to be worth having?
Many attorneys don't use any books frequently. We may use ABA handbooks but most of our stuff is done through online research with Lexis or Westlaw or another similar subscription service.

tranquility

There are many books to help one understand the law. But, the law is many things. Do you want specific manuals to proceed in a case? Or, are you looking for books to give a sense of what the law is in a topic? Or, are you looking for books to give a background to better understand cases?

By the way, what law?

The law is a description of how people should interact. Interact in all things and in all their lives. It is a basic understanding in that it is only the interaction that should be enforced by government. Since people interact in many ways, there are many law books to help describe the interaction. What is it you seek?

Dave1952

There are public law libraries. I live near a medium sized city that has two, both associated with law schools. So, go to the library and research what interests you. Talk to the librarian. Skim some books and see what you might like to buy. If you aren't close to a law library try your regular library. The librarian may be able to help you research topics and obtain books through the Interlibrary Loan program. Many County Seats have a law library.

suitandtie

There are many books to help one understand the law. But, the law is many things. Do you want specific manuals to proceed in a case? Or, are you looking for books to give a sense of what the law is in a topic? Or, are you looking for books to give a background to better understand cases?

By the way, what law?
I seek books (1) that I can afford (2) that summarize binding precedent for the civil federal circuits (3) otherwise of popular use in law. The book on ebay is only $20. I realize Lexis or Westlaw would be nice too. Is anything cheaper? http://legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/Legal-Encyclopedias/American-Jurisprudence-2d/p/100027544 has some books that look like they might be handy, but they could be a waste of paper too for all I know. There is a trial but I have to call them to know how long the trial is! It doesn't seem to say for how long it lasts. Pacer.gov is way expensive and it doesn't let me search well anyway. Anything I could afford to have a subscription to? I was going to get the book on ebay but thought I'd get some advice before pulling the trigger. A few general strategic books might be good. A book about the Rules Federal Rules of Civil Procedure that might allow me to understand mysterious (to me) advice like, "Scroll to 6.3.B.2., Rule 15" better might be nice to own. Such a book might say "12(b) is the most common.."

suitandtie

There are public law libraries. I live near a medium sized city that has two, both associated with law schools. So, go to the library and research what interests you. Talk to the librarian. Skim some books and see what you might like to buy. If you aren't close to a law library try your regular library. The librarian may be able to help you research topics and obtain books through the Interlibrary Loan program. Many County Seats have a law library.
Good advice except there are none super easy to get to and my experience is that academia and real life are way different. There is a professor who has a famous blog in a law topic and IMO he is really out of touch with the person in the trenches, like some of you guys. Also, academics tend not to be aware of prices. If I need to pay 10,000 for a subscription it is not something I want. I want affordable and useful books in law to fill the void. But perhaps this forum cannot answer my question and in that case I could certainly call up some libraries and get their opinions.

Ohiogal wrote, "We may use ABA handbooks ..."

What does the ABA in "ABA handbooks" refer to? I did a search and wasn't sure.

Last edited:

Zigner

I seek books (1) that I can afford (2) that summarize binding precedent for the civil federal circuits (3) otherwise of popular use in law. The book on ebay is only $20. I realize Lexis or Westlaw would be nice too. Is anything cheaper? http://legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/Legal-Encyclopedias/American-Jurisprudence-2d/p/100027544 has some books that look like they might be handy, but they could be a waste of paper too for all I know. There is a trial but I have to call them to know how long the trial is! It doesn't seem to say for how long it lasts. Pacer.gov is way expensive and it doesn't let me search well anyway. Anything I could afford to have a subscription to? I was going to get the book on ebay but thought I'd get some advice before pulling the trigger. A few general strategic books might be good. A book about the Rules Federal Rules of Civil Procedure that might allow me to understand mysterious (to me) advice like, "Scroll to 6.3.B.2., Rule 15" better might be nice to own. Such a book might say "12(b) is the most common.."
You've probably been told this elsewhere - but you are in way over your head.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Good advice except there are none super easy to get to and my experience is that academia and real life are way different. There is a professor who has a famous blog in a law topic and IMO he is really out of touch with the person in the trenches, like some of you guys. Also, academics tend not to be aware of prices. If I need to pay 10,000 for a subscription it is not something I want. I want affordable and useful books in law to fill the void. But perhaps this forum cannot answer my question and in that case I could certainly call up some libraries and get their opinions.

Ohiogal wrote, "We may use ABA handbooks ..."

What does the ABA in "ABA handbooks" refer to? I did a search and wasn't sure.
If you don't know what ABA stands for, that is an issue. American Bar Association. You are not able to do your own research. You are missing the basics.

quincy

... A book about the Rules Federal Rules of Civil Procedure that might allow me to understand mysterious (to me) advice like, "Scroll to 6.3.B.2., Rule 15" better might be nice to own. Such a book might say "12(b) is the most common.."
I use "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" published by Thomson/West that includes the US Constitution, Rules of Civil Procedure and Title 28 - Judiciary and Judicial Procedure Selections. It is the abridged educational edition. Because there are amendments to the rules, you want the most up-to-date edition you can find.

I have always preferred books to online research but time constraints necessitate the use of online resources.

Law students tend to hang onto their texts after graduation and keep them for use in their practice, but you might find a student selling texts at a discounted price. But if you are looking for "cheap" law books, you will probably not find many, even used books - just like you will not find many services that are cheap. For an average person doing minimal research, Pacer can be good and I provided in your other thread links to online case law resources that are good for most pro se needs.

That said, for your purposes, you need an attorney to assist and not a bunch of books. I am afraid you are not going to learn enough from research in the time you have available to go up against the federal government in your lawsuit.

TigerD

My learning how to research and find the law cost me more than $600,000 in direct costs and foregone salary. Gosh, but you are going to make me feel rather stupid if you can duplicate that with a $20 book.

Good luck.

tranquility

Nothing fits that at all. Perhaps some used books. For a fairly inexpensive legal publisher see James Publishing. While not as complete as an annotated code or something from rutter or thomsonreuters, they might fit your needs.

Info edit:
See also:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/library/research/guides/freelowcost.cfm

Last edited:

suitandtie

My learning how to research and find the law cost me more than $600,000 in direct costs and foregone salary. Gosh, but you are going to make me feel rather stupid if you can duplicate that with a $20 book.

Good luck.
Tiger, your comment falsely implies that I implied that was my goal. My goals were stated above: I have a gap in my library and I want to fill it. Filling that gap will never allow me to reach your level of superior intellect, although IMO it can't be that superior if you misunderstand what I wrote that extravagantly.

It is also false to assume owning some law books is a binary proposition. I do not seek a $1 million library, nor a $0 library I have now, nor merely a nolo-type library, but something tiny, modest, and useful enough to understand some limited aspects.

If guardians of your craft want to stop people from this, and if law must be kept secret, well screw them and/or you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Tiger, your comment falsely implies that I implied that was my goal. My goals were stated above: I have a gap in my library and I want to fill it. Filling that gap will never allow me to reach your level of superior intellect, although IMO it can't be that superior if you misunderstand what I wrote that extravagantly.

It is also false to assume owning some law books is a binary proposition. I do not seek a $1 million library, nor a $0 library I have now, nor merely a nolo-type library, but something tiny, modest, and useful enough to understand some limited aspects.

If guardians of your craft want to stop people from this, and if law must be kept secret, well screw them and/or you.
Alrighty then :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">