• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can i do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fanboyz1231

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey is where this person is located

Hello,so ive bought about 2000 worth of items from a sketchy unknown buyer,i know it was a stupid idea,but anyways, ive tried to settle it out with paypal to get my money back,but what the buyer did was send me a 5 dollar watch that proved to paypal that the goods were delivered,they do not take responsibility for what the goods are/the quality.

i live in canada, he lives in New Jersey

what can i do?

or should i just take it as a loss??

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey is where this person is located

Hello,so ive bought about 2000 worth of items from a sketchy unknown buyer,i know it was a stupid idea,but anyways, ive tried to settle it out with paypal to get my money back,but what the buyer did was send me a 5 dollar watch that proved to paypal that the goods were delivered,they do not take responsibility for what the goods are/the quality.

i live in canada, he lives in New Jersey

what can i do?

or should i just take it as a loss??

Let's review this.

You are in Canada and sent money to some unknown buy in New Jersey and instead of what you thought you were buying, he actually sent something of a much lesser value. Is that correct?

You'd have to sue him in NJ. First you'd have to find him of course and have him served.

Given the circumstances, it looks like you'd fail at the first pass.

Sorry, but this is going to be a lesson learned.

fanboyz1231

Let's review this.

You are in Canada and sent money to some unknown buy in New Jersey and instead of what you thought you were buying, he actually sent something of a much lesser value. Is that correct?

You'd have to sue him in NJ. First you'd have to find him of course and have him served.

Given the circumstances, it looks like you'd fail at the first pass.

Sorry, but this is going to be a lesson learned.

Thanks,how hard would it be to find him?if i have his email,and his Full name,the state where he lives.

swalsh411

You may think you have that. What you really have is what he told you those things were which may have been completely made up. I'd start by trying to look him up in the phone book.

quincy

Thanks,how hard would it be to find him?if i have his email,and his Full name,the state where he lives.
It is impossible to say how hard it will be to locate the seller.

If the seller did nothing to disguise his real identifying information and he has a uncommon name, it could be relatively easy. If he created a fake email using a fake name and he does not really reside in the state of New Jersey, it could be next to impossible.

A lawsuit will be a challenge - probably a costly challenge. I think you might be best off enjoying your $5 watch, chalking up your experience to a lesson learned (as Proserpina said), and then being more careful about what you buy, and from whom you buy, in the future.

Good luck.

Proserpina

Even if the buyer was found and the OP successfully sued, we have the problem of collection.

The court isn't going to collect on OP's behalf, so OP is left with basically one choice - try to garnish the seller. NJ only allows 10% of wages to be garnished and that's assuming the court approves the creditor's request for garnishment.

I do believe that essentially this is a lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">