• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Legally, that is correct and the judge would not likely ORDER support past the age of 18. However, if you negotiate a settlement, your ex may wish to include support if the kid stays in college. You can't be required to accept that, but it's something that's often done - in the context of the whole agreement it may make sense.
I am going to back you up on this statement. There are lots of people that feel that college is important enough that they agree to share the expenses.

However there are several people on these forums who feel very passionately that college expenses should never be included in a court order, even if its an agreed order.

LdiJ

You should expect to pay NO child support if the child is over the age of 18 unless said child is permanently disabled or something of that nature and even then not necessarily nor should you consider paying alimony due to the fact that your wife makes a good living and there is NOT a substantial difference in income. Expect to split all assets and debts 50/50.
Well...we don't necessarily know that she makes a good living, only that she makes 10k less than he does. They could both have relatively low incomes.

However, I agree that with only a 10k difference, alimony is highly unlikely.

nextwife

I'm one of those, and I feel passionately because I experienced how things can change. My dad was well and earning a decent living one day- and disabled and suffering a brain tumor the next. He therefore, thankfully because he was married and NOT under any court order, had the option and flexibility of choosing to do what he could BASED ON HIS CIRCUMSTANCES AT THE TIME. One cannot know what the future holds, therefore one should not be locked into something that may no longer be as "do-able" when the time comes.

Additionally, had I been treating my dad with disrespect and disdain, and been unwilling to spend time with him, He should not have then been OBLIGATED to pay squat to help me further once I achieved adulthood.

Which is also why I do not believe that there should be unmodifiable spousal support. Our employment, health and career fields are NOT unmodifiable!

And, If it's a property settlement CALL it a property settlement.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

married parents arent ordered or obligated to pay for their childrens college, they can do so if they want, but arent ordered to, so why should divorced parents have more of a legal obligation than married parents do?
Please read what I wrote. No one can ORDER the father to pay for college. However, it may be worthwhile for them to discuss it if they negotiate a settlement. No one is forcing him to do anything.

For example, if it were me in his situation, I'd happily agree to pay some amount of the college expenses in exchange for a reduced property settlement or reduced alimony. That way, I know that the money would be going somewhere I want it to go. My ex-wife, OTOH, might be happy to give up a little present money to ensure that my daughter has money to go to college.

I'm not saying that's right for every one (or even very many people). But it's something that could easily be put on the table as a negotiated issue.

Basically, IMHO, the more things on the table, the easier it is for people to give up things they don't care about and get things that are important. The more you take off the table, the more likely people are to end up fighting.

But if they can't agree on a win-win, it goes to court and the judge would not order child support after age 18. No one suggested that anyone would be forced to agree to child support past age 18 in FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">