• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what content might take place at my demurer hearing as a defendant in a dismissed eviction case in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

what content might take place at my demurer hearing as a defendant in a dismissed eviction case in California
Huh? I'm assuming that, in response to you filing a demurrer, the landlord dismissed the case. If that's the case, then the hearing won't happen.

Litigator22

. . . its [sic] the landlord's case, he can dismiss it at any time. (?)
That is generally true, but it isn't an absolutism.

Depending on the state of the record, the stage of the court proceedings, etc., etc., oft times leave of court is required. Example the pendency of a counterclaim, or an s/j motion or one for an award of attorney fees or pending discover issues, etc. etc.

zddoodah

That is generally true, but it isn't an absolutism.

Depending on the state of the record, the stage of the court proceedings, etc., etc., oft times leave of court is required. Example the pendency of a counterclaim, or an s/j motion or one for an award of attorney fees or pending discover issues, etc. etc.
I'm not aware of anything in California's unlawful detainer laws that would support this (I'm also not aware of a provision for "counterclaims" in UD cases), although, obviously, if you've reached the stage where someone is making a fee motion, that's a post-judgment matter, and you can't dismiss any case that's already gone to judgment.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Ca
Did you file a timely response to the landlord’s complaint?

Did you move out of the rental property after the landlord’s complaint was filed?

A landlord can dismiss his eviction complaint if eviction is no longer necessary. The landlord can then file a separate suit against the departed tenant to collect any damages.

What exactly is your current situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">