• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what deems "unhealthy living conditions"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mepoohnu

I have recently moved out of a rental property, breaking a lease, due to unhealthy living conditions. One of the rooms (that was not used, and therefore unknown to us) had flooded and because of that, was covered (the white carpet and walls were black) in mildew. We were told that the flooding was due to a building error blocking the air conditioning ventilation, causing water to back up through the whole house, this took place prior to us moving in to the property. In addition when it rained the cealing in another area leaked in three areas, turning the cealing brown and damp, and huge water marks apeared in several other rooms on the cealings. When we told the landlord about these problems (and there are others) we agreed that we would move out, as it was obvious to us that the room would have to be ripped out and re-built due to the mildew and damp going through the whole house. She was fine with this and on our move out day she met us at the property and agreed that everything (in our control) looked well taken care of and clean. Two areas of the carpet (high traffic areas were a little dirty-nothing out of the ordinary though) We kindly agreed that she could pay us back our security deposit in 28 days, giving her time to fix the place up and find new tenants. Since then we receive daily calls from her saying that things are damaged, which is untrue. I feel that we may have a problem retreiving our FULL security deposit back. Also, I have been by the property and all she has done is rip up the carpets and paint over the mildew. I feel that this is unsafe and extreemly unhealthy for the next "unlucky" tenants that move in. In all honesty the whole room should have been rebuilt...the damp is even visible on the outside wall. What should I do? Should I contact the health department or someone like that so that other "unsuspecting" tenants don't have to go through what we're going through?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

"Unhealthy living conditions", in law, are called breaches of the warranty of habitability. Statute, caselaw and your judge determine what are and are not breaches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">