• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do if they file for bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was an employee of the company in question from June 1, 1999, until May 21, 2001. I work and live in Pennsylvania. I was laid off upon my request, as I (and my fellow employees) had not been paid my bimonthly paychecks since March 2001. I am now collecting unemployment. Before I was officially laid off, I had my employer write and sign an agreement that my back wages would be paid to me within 90 days of the agreement (May 21).

Rumors are now swirling around that the company may declare bankruptcy within the next 30 days. My questions are:

1. Is the signed agreement enough for me to be guaranteed my back wages?

2. Is the signed agreement enough for me to be paid my back wages in the event that the company files for bankruptcy?

3. If I hear that the company will definitely file for bankruptcy, should I contact the Labor Relations Board first, or an attorney?

4. Should I contact the Labor Relations Board now anyway, even though I have a signed agreement from the company that they will try to pay my back wages within 90 days?

Thanks for your help,


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential