• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angela_ba

what should I do???

Maryland

My ex and I seprarated in Dec. 1999 and divorced in Oct. 2000. this is the first year that I have worked since before we got married 4 years ago. when I went to fill my taxes this year electronically, federal came back with a message saying that my adjusted gross income did not match the amount from last year. I had put $0.00 since I didn't work. When I called IRS they told me that my ex had filed joint on the taxes last year. the only way he could have filed joint was to forge my signature. can anyone tell me how I would go about handleing this? I never gave him any permission nor did he have a power of attorney.

[Edited by angela_ba on 04-16-2001 at 10:12 PM]

L

loku

False joint return

The IRS will handle this if you report it to them. In that case, your ex could end up in trouble with them. However, your ex could rectify it by filing amended returns in his own name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">