• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do we need to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hisbabygirl77

What is the name of your state? tn is where the mom and child are

Ok I posted a few days ago and received the opinions of many on this site..Now I have an update and another question. The bio mom called my husband and asked us to come get my stepdaughter as she can't handle her right now because she is going through to much to deal with the kids right now...( also asking different man to come get his 2 children) She says emotionally and mentally she can not parent right now..

Since my husband is going up this weekend to get his daughter is there some kind of paper we can have them sign so we can register their daughter in school and for medical purposes until we can get a court date set up for temp change of custody?

Hisbabygirl77

we know that he wont have legal custody till we go to court.. But isn't there something they could sign so we can register their daughter in school? and if she needs medical help why here that he can sign for her? My husband does planning on going down and filing for custody but the biomom wants him there this weekend to pick up their daughter.

Zephyr

as long as dad is the legal father, and has joint custody he can obtain medical care for the child- school might want to see a court order- might not- you may want to have a lawyer draw up a stipulated agreement and have it handled through the court right away, a stipulated agreement takes no where near the time an actual custody battle does.

CJane

If you don't have time to file a new plan... and you don't. The school may accept a power of attorney document, allowing you to enroll the child in school.

BUT, that's not a permanent solution and should NOT be used to delay filing for custody, temp or otherwise. As Zephyr said, if mom is in agreement, have an attorney draw up new custody papers, both parents sign it in front of a notary, and then file it with the court that holds jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">