• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do you think?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ARH0789

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was hospitalized at the beginning of this school year for psychiatric reasons. These reasons were disclosed to the school's athletic director, in spoken confidentiality. He told his secratary, my coach, who told her daughter, a girl on the team. Because of this, I switched schools because I was denied a clean impression on anyone and was also forced to quit the sport. I would like to do something because I truly feel I have been wronged. Thanks

K

krispenstpeter

Go to google and type in Libel and then Slander and then come back here and tell us WHY this won't happen.

A

ARH0789

And that wasn't rude? Excuse me for asking a question that I, God forbid, don't know the answer to.

K

krispenstpeter

And instead of doing what I suggested and actually learn something, you attack.

Is it any wonder people think you're nuts.

Oh, it must be a conspiracy.

C

CharlieAngel1

Krispent**** You're disgusting. Get a life.
To the girl: Slander and Libel are false statements. If the statements made were true, unfortunately it is not slander.
I don't know if you might have had a right to privacy here. Maybe Krispent can clarify. Or maybe he'll come bombard us with names for having a thought and voicing it..

racer72

If what was spoken was the truth, you have no claim. Your only right to privacy only extends to what is inside of your medical records.

stephenk

"I switched schools because I was denied a clean impression on anyone and was also forced to quit the sport."

what does this mean exactly?

C

CharlieAngel1

Why were you forced to quit the sport? If it's because of your psychiatric problem, they might be violating the Americans w/Disabilities Act. I don't see how a mental condition can prevent you from practicing a sport.

What exactly happened? I mean, how do you know the daughter of your coach knows, and who forced you to stop practicing the sport? You need to give us more details. If the illness was strictly confidential (in your records & spoken in confidentiality) then they violated your right to privacy. They also could have discriminated against you based on disability.

But then again, you need to post more details on this for us to know.

K

krispenstpeter

So this post has moved from the original question of Libel and Slander (For which there is absolutely no case) to ADA and discrimination.

Of course, it migh be, could be, Possibly be nothing at all.

But, as far as the QUESTION ASKED, It's nothing. PERIOD!

A

ARH0789

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was hesitant to return... I wasn't really looking for slander, but this seemed the best forum to post my issue. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.
I spoke loosely when I said forced to leave the school. I felt that I had to leave because, since confidentiality had been broken, there were rumors all over-some true some not, and it was hurting me, psychologically, more to continue there.
Because the coach knew it was not strictly a medical or physical issue, she decided that it was my fault for missing practices and being absent from school. I was not in a rehab center for drugs, alcohol, anything that my cheerleading contract in the beginning of the year prohibited.
I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for. I'd be glad to answer anything else you would need, I'm just trying to find out if there is anything I can do. Thanks again.

M

Meursault

I was hospitalized at the beginning of this school year for psychiatric reasons. These reasons were disclosed to the school's athletic director
This is the original quote from the poster. Inasmuch as this is not a medical records issue, there is no confidentiality attached.

Also, the repeating of an utterance (whether in confidence or not) is not grounds for libel when the specific utterance originated from the complainting party.

Simply, if the poster did not want the facts of her 'stay' published, whether verbally or not, then she should have kept it to herself.

Any resulting issues derived from her utterance are a result of her own actions.

Also, there is no mention of who told the school Athletic Director. Inasmuch as there has been no evidence that a member of the medical team at the facility released this information, OR that the medical information was contained in a recorded record of the student held in possession of school authorities, there can also be no breech of confidentiality based on Wisconsin Statutes: Sections 46.215; 46.22-23; 48.355; 48.396; 115.28; 118.125; 118.126; 146.025; 146.81-146.83; 252.15; 254.11-254.178; 767.24 nor on Wisconsin Act 239, Wisconsin Act 205 OR Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 45 C.F.R. Sec. 99).

C

CharlieAngel1

I notice that you conveniently left out part of the phrase you just quoted:

"I was hospitalized at the beginning of this school year for psychiatric reasons. These reasons were disclosed to the school's athletic director, in spoken confidentiality.

I am surprised that you mysteriously left out that part, in order to claim that there was never confidentiality. What are you trying to do here? If the girl says it was spoken in confidentiality, it probably was.

She should be contacting her bar association right now and making an appointment with a lawyer.

Also, "Simply, if the poster did not want the facts of her 'stay' published, whether verbally or not, then she should have kept it to herself."

Are you nuts? How is she going to keep that to herself, if she needs accomodations from school? She did the right thing. She told her coach in confidentiality that she had a disability. Her coach violated that confidentiality and forced her to quit.

You should ask an attorney and let him decide if you have a case of discrimination and violation of privacy re your medical records.

M

Meursault

I have noticed your comments on this forum for a time now and not once have you given any legal justification for your opinion.

So, until you do, I simply dismiss you as yet another wannabee.

Or do you have proof that this 'spoken confidentiality' exists in anything but your own mind? Simply put, this poster has no expectation of confidentiality in LAW other than what is stated in my last post.

And until you can come back here with more than your own opinion, I prefer the law to some guess.

C

CharlieAngel1

Plus, stating the law is never enough. If you're going to ignore part of the client's testimony, no matter how much law you know, you'll be toast. That's mainly what you've been doing, so you are far from being effective in your analysis of potential claims.

K

Krispentspeter

Meursault, I have noticed your posts on this board, and I think you're the one who never states the law and comes up with outrageous conclusions.

CharlieAngel1 is right on spot. You should stop moaning and whining over everything and if you can't give legal advice, just don't. You'd do us all a big favor if you could disappear from these forums because you're an annoyance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">