• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What document/s should I sign to waive my rights to inherit a home my wife owns? Not our home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

You should talk to a lawyer, and be specific about EXACTLY what you are trying to accomplish.

You really haven't provided any information on that.

elane4645

My wife has children from a previous marriage. I want to remove myself from becoming an heir to that specific property which she owns should she die. Such that only her children are possible heirs to that properly

Reactions: HRZ

xylene

Ideally, your wife needs to draft a properly designed will to that testamentary intent.

If your wife doesn't have a will, or the will names you, it will be up to you to dispose of the property (your whole or partial interest in it) as you see if. You may be able to disclaim you inheritance.

It seems like perhaps there is some conflict here betweeen you and your wife and her children from another. Unfortunaely there isn't a form that will make that much easier.

BUT - taking care of this now, in an estate plan, will be much easier.

adjusterjack

In addition to her having a proper will, it would be a good idea for the two of you to have a written post-nuptial agreement with you relinquishing all rights to the property. Consult a lawyer about that, and her will, as this kind of thing can get complicated.

HRZ

You cannot direct that only her children may inherit her home....She may write a will or structure titles as she sees fit ..and she could change her mind and leave it to her favorite charity or hairdresser

LdiJ

In addition to her having a proper will, it would be a good idea for the two of you to have a written post-nuptial agreement with you relinquishing all rights to the property. Consult a lawyer about that, and her will, as this kind of thing can get complicated.
I agree, because even if she leaves the house to her children in her will, he would be allowed to elect to claim the spouses share under the intestate rules unless she has enough other assets to give him the spouse's share. Therefore he does need to sign away that right in order to guarantee that that her kids get the house.

Of course, there are ways to have the house pass outside of any estate. An attorney who specializes in estate planning could give some options there.

elane4645

This is an advice site. I have a problem I'm trying to get advice to solve. If you're offended I'm sorry. The question is perfectly relevant to the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">