• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"what if" scenario on Federal property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Big_Pete

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Suppose I came to a Federal premise because of a bank account at a credit union there, to visit friend/relative working there, or whatever business. Then there's someone there I don't like whom I'm passing by. Will I get in huge trouble for giving a Federal employee on Federal property the middle finger or calling him/her a vulgar name, or is it protected by the free speech/expression amendment? What's the worst repercussion that can happen?

Big_Pete

I meant once in the building, I'm on my way to the bank in there or to a friend/relative working elsewhere in the building. I happen to pass by someone I recognize, don't like, and knows he/she is a Federal employee. So I decide to either give him/her a middle finger or whisper/sneeze "f*** you", b**ch, a-hole, or whatever and then continue walking on my way to the bank, friend/relative, or wherever.

Even if he/she curses me back or charges at me while I don't lay a finger back at him/her or anyone, can he/she still have his/her way by suing me and then winning easily, having security guards arrest me on sight, or having security guards kick me out?

Is profanity between a Federal employee and non-Federal employee protected by free speech/expression?

racer72

What you describe is not free speech. Free speech means you have the right to express yourself within specific limits without impinging upon the rights of others. You can stand on a street corner and use foul language as long as it not directed at anyone in particular. Free speech does not mean you can call people names or make threats. It's also shows a lack of maturity and the fact you had to even ask this question proves your are immature and need to grow up.

justalayman

What you describe is not free speech. Free speech means you have the right to express yourself within specific limits without impinging upon the rights of others. You can stand on a street corner and use foul language as long as it not directed at anyone in particular. Free speech does not mean you can call people names or make threats. It's also shows a lack of maturity and the fact you had to even ask this question proves your are immature and need to grow up.
I have to disagree with racer here. It has already been ruled, at least in some courts (and maybe even the SCOTUS, didn;t research it) that displaying a middle finger is protected speech.

Unless speaking such foul language is forbidden by law, again, uttering such words is not illegal although it is not directly protected by law either.

but there are generally laws that can be applied such as disturbing the peace or others similar should your utterance or display cause something to happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">