• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What information do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stresseddaddy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I think I might be the father to my "exs" newborn. Our relationship was casual, she was fooling around with two other guys, that I know of, around the time she conceived. After a fight we had, before the child was born, she (mom) cut off all communication with me. I continually tried to talk to her about the pregnancy/baby, she then got a no contact order against me. I don't know any information about the baby... first name, birth date, place of birth, etc. What information do I need to try to establish paternity? How long after filing until it goes to court? Do I need to hire a lawyer?
Thank you for your time.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I think I might be the father to my "exs" newborn. Our relationship was casual, she was fooling around with two other guys, that I know of, around the time she conceived. After a fight we had, before the child was born, she (mom) cut off all communication with me. I continually tried to talk to her about the pregnancy/baby, she then got a no contact order against me. I don't know any information about the baby... first name, birth date, place of birth, etc. What information do I need to try to establish paternity? How long after filing until it goes to court? Do I need to hire a lawyer?
Thank you for your time.
What happened to necessitate an NCO?

Start reading: http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/childSupport/custodialParty/Pages/paternity.aspx#how

Stresseddaddy

She sent messages asking me to leave her alone, I continued to try to contact her. I also threatened to have other people contact her if she continued to ignore me (I know, that looks horrible on my part). She got a no contact order on grounds of harassment.

Thank you for the link.

Proserpina

She sent messages asking me to leave her alone, I continued to try to contact her. I also threatened to have other people contact her if she continued to ignore me (I know, that looks horrible on my part). She got a no contact order on grounds of harassment.

Thank you for the link.
Expect her to motion for the NCO to include the child.

Dude, seriously - you can't go doing that. You just can't. She has absolutely no obligation to you whatsoever - she doesn't even have to acknowledge your existence and there isn't a court in the land going to force her to do that until there's a live birth and a motion pending.

So this is a lesson learned for you, right? You'll never pull that crap again ... right? You're going to be a great father to your child (assuming you're the father, anyway) ... right?

Good.

Last edited:

Alex1119

Thank you for the link.
What purpose was this harassment supposed to serve?! On the bright side, I wouldn't worry too much about paternity, since she has a pending restraining order. She also can not initiate contact with you at all (or reciprocate) in order to maintain this. The baby may also belong to one of the other men she was with.

Proserpina

What purpose was this harassment supposed to serve?! On the bright side, I wouldn't worry too much about paternity, since she has a pending restraining order. She also can not initiate contact with you at all (or reciprocate) in order to maintain this. The baby may also belong to one of the other men she was with.
She can absolutely have him served with a paternity suit; a restraining or no-contact order DOES NOT preclude that from happening.

Alex1119

She can absolutely have him served with a paternity suit; a restraining or no-contact order DOES NOT preclude that from happening.
True, although she must PROVE he is the father first. Of course the court can order a paternity test, from the description above it seems she is too busy ensuring he doesn't contact her.

Proserpina

True, although she must PROVE he is the father first.
Nope. She doesn't have to prove a darned thing - she fills out a form or three, pays (or has waived) the filing costs, has him served and then it's time for court.

Of course the court can order a paternity test, from the description above it seems she is too busy ensuring he doesn't contact her.

You're not even trying, are you?

Just Blue

True, although she must PROVE he is the father first. Of course the court can order a paternity test, from the description above it seems she is too busy ensuring he doesn't contact her.
will you just STOP?!! You have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are wrong. Please learn reality before you post.

Stresseddaddy

Thank you for your responses.

I'm not concerned about her trying to establish paternity as she doesn't want me in hers or the child's life. But if I Am the father, she doesn't really have a say in the matter. Last I heard, she was living with one of the other guys, and they're "playing house". If the child is mine, I intend to do everything I need to be a part of the child's life.

Silverplum

Thank you for your responses.

I'm not concerned about her trying to establish paternity as she doesn't want me in hers or the child's life. But if I Am the father, she doesn't really have a say in the matter. Last I heard, she was living with one of the other guys, and they're "playing house". If the child is mine, I intend to do everything I need to be a part of the child's life.
Alrighty. Proserpina set you up nicely in post #2: let the reading begin.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agreed with Silverplum. Read, learn and file to establish to your rights. Start with a DNA test. Go from there. Go through court. Ignore mom.
Because of the no-contact order, I'd highly recommend that the OP retain an attorney to assist and to help him avoid violating the NCO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">