• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a landlord responsible for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nalnk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

My husband and I are new at this...

Just had the home inspection done yesterday... A few minor things are wrong with the home.

Short sale on the home! Current owner can't afford her mortgage payments but can afford the rent that we are going to charge her! She is delighted that she can stay in the home. She is a "senior".

She purchased the home brand new in '06 so she is the only one that has been living there.

The inspection report shows soiling of the carpets and there is a burn mark on the stove door (inside). Since she is the only one that has lived there and she clearly has soiled the rugs and presumably burned what ever she was cooking, i would think that we do NOT need to address these issues since she is going to continue to live there and pay us rent.

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

My husband and I are new at this...

Just had the home inspection done yesterday... A few minor things are wrong with the home..
Pick up a copy of your states LL/T laws, and become VERY intimate with it! Most Attorney General websites will point you in the direction of acquiring a free a copy, if not provide you with one.

Short sale on the home! Current owner can't afford her mortgage payments but can afford the rent that we are going to charge her! She is delighted that she can stay in the home. She is a "senior".

She purchased the home brand new in '06 so she is the only one that has been living there.

The inspection report shows soiling of the carpets and there is a burn mark on the stove door (inside). Since she is the only one that has lived there and she clearly has soiled the rugs and presumably burned what ever she was cooking, i would think that we do NOT need to address these issues since she is going to continue to live there and pay us rent.
Tricky ground here. Since you are buying this home directly, you cannot charge her to replace these items since there was no previous "tenant". She was the previous OWNER and not a tenant, ANY modification to the home would need to be covered under the short sale. However we all know short sales are "as-is".

She, however, can force you to replace the soiled carpets if they become a health issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">