• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A friend of a friend is going through a separation/dissolution, and some issues are coming up ... my friend asked me if I could help her figure this out.

The couple decided a little over a year ago to split. Wife wanted to move out, said she doesn't want the house, agreed to allow the children to stay with the husband so they wouldn't have to change schools. This started out very amicable. They also decided a dissolution would be the best way to go, since they agreed on everything, and had a separation agreement drawn up, outlining visitation, support, living arangements and such. Things got ugly, although I don't know the details. Now, the husband wants to change the dissolution to a divorce, and is going to claim abandonment.

How likely is it that abandonment will stick in this case?

BelizeBreeze

MomIsWorried said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

A friend of a friend is going through a separation/dissolution, and some issues are coming up ... my friend asked me if I could help her figure this out.

The couple decided a little over a year ago to split. Wife wanted to move out, said she doesn't want the house, agreed to allow the children to stay with the husband so they wouldn't have to change schools. This started out very amicable. They also decided a dissolution would be the best way to go, since they agreed on everything, and had a separation agreement drawn up, outlining visitation, support, living arangements and such. Things got ugly, although I don't know the details. Now, the husband wants to change the dissolution to a divorce, and is going to claim abandonment.

How likely is it that abandonment will stick in this case?
Dissolution IS divorce and he cannot claim abandonment.

BelizeBreeze said:
Dissolution IS divorce and he cannot claim abandonment.
Thanks Belize ... I understand that divorce and dissolution both result in the legal end of a marriage, but this man wants to go from agreeing to everything (dissolution), to fighting everything out in court (divorce) ~ at least that's how the difference between the 2 was explained to me. And I was pretty sure he can't claim abandonment...not under the circumstances, anyway.

Thanks again! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">