• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered my fair share of rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinklove0015

SSI is really vague on what is considered my fair share of rent. I am considering getting a room mate and renting out a bedroom in someone's apartment. The rent is 1,500. What would be considered my fair share of rent if I get 771 in ssi benefits?

adjusterjack

SSI is really vague on what is considered my fair share of rent. I am considering getting a room mate and renting out a bedroom in someone's apartment. The rent is 1,500. What would be considered my fair share of rent if I get 771 in ssi benefits?
$1500 less whatever your roommate pays.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you looking for a law that says, "If you are receiving SSI your rent will be x% of your benefit?" Because there isn't one.

Janke

It is actually not vague. There are many pages of instructions that apply to living arrangements. Roommates split expenses using a pro-rata share. Two people in an apartment, each should be paying 1/2. You probably cannot afford to pay 1/2 of $1500 and utilities and buy food.

If you are renting a room in a commercial establishment or in a similar business type relationship with the owner of the home/boarding house then you need to pay market value, the amount that it would be rented to anyone else. And the landlord/owner of the home gets to decide what to charge and what market value is.

Here is a link to the Table of Contents for the chapter. It is not simple reading. Start at the beginning.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835000

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">