• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is next after sending dispute letter for security deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgutta420

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

So I sent out a letter of dispute on my landlords frivolous claim of trying to keep my deposit. What's next. It's been like 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. I sent it certified mail with return receipt so I know he got it. How long does he have to respond?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

So I sent out a letter of dispute on my landlords frivolous claim of trying to keep my deposit. What's next. It's been like 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. I sent it certified mail with return receipt so I know he got it. How long does he have to respond?
He doesn't have to respond at all. You would have to sue him in small claims court for the return of your deposit.

Jgutta420

He doesn't have to respond at all. You would have to sue him in small claims court for the return of your deposit.
Well that's awesome. I have 15 days to respond to his claim on MY money but he doesn't have to respond to my dispute?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gail in Georgia

Welcome to the world of the landlord.

You have notified him of your concern over him keeping your security deposit. Since you have not received "satisfaction" regarding this matter, the next step is to file for these funds through Small Claims Court. In many cases the steps to doing this in your county will be online (and in some counties the actual filing can be done online). Often it's not a difficult process and the filing fees tend to be reasonable.

Gail

Jgutta420

I shouldn't have to take time off work and spend more of MY money and go to court just to get MY money back. The burden of proof should be on him. Once I dispute it he should have to prove why he is able to legally hold MY money.

HRZ

Double check the FL laws but IF you sue him you might be able to use attorney and stick LL with a big bill for that IF you prevail .

Gail in Georgia

"I shouldn't have to take time off work and spend more of MY money and go to court just to get MY money back. The burden of proof should be on him. Once I dispute it he should have to prove why he is able to legally hold MY money. "

Sure the burden of proof is on him....in court. Which is why all of us are saying if your landlord does not respond to your demand letter your next step is to file in Small Claims for what you believe you are fairly owed.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">