• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what kind of charges can be filed against someone who did the equivalent of push a pregnant woman?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HilarityClinton

In california here, someone prevented my wife from leaving someones home by yanking her hard enough to lose balance and fall down. I believe they yanked her by her purse but there was aggression in the person who did it and she and the child luckily didnt get injured other than a sore arm on my wife....the floor was hard rock tile which made it slippery...what kind of charges can be filed?

justalayman

It’s up to the prosecutor to determine what, if any, charges are filed. Did you wife make a police report at the time or very soon after?

HilarityClinton

no police report but there is a report with CPS investigators about being held against her will for 3 months with that detail excluded....this was done by her family so theres pressure to make sure she doesn't complain to the police.

justalayman

If she was held captive for three months, why didn’t she contact the police?

Why haven’t you reported a person being held against their will if you knew about it?

HilarityClinton

If she was held captive for three months, why didn’t she contact the police?

Why haven’t you reported a person being held against their will if you knew about it?
so no crime if there was no police? what about all the other cases where someone reports something after the fact? Cps is one of those groups that try to find out what was going on; if there's no police then we are liars to CPS? so we are now bad parents?

quincy

so no crime if there was no police? what about all the other cases where someone reports something after the fact? Cps is one of those groups that try to find out what was going on; if there's no police then we are liars to CPS? so we are now bad parents?
If no one reports that a crime was committed, how is anyone to know about it?

You or the woman or anyone else can file a report with the police or CPS.

CdwJava

In california here, someone prevented my wife from leaving someones home by yanking her hard enough to lose balance and fall down. I believe they yanked her by her purse but there was aggression in the person who did it and she and the child luckily didnt get injured other than a sore arm on my wife....the floor was hard rock tile which made it slippery...what kind of charges can be filed?
Your wife can call the police and report the battery. It is a misdemeanor criminal offense pursuant to PC 242. The fact that she was pregnant will not change the underlying offense.

no police report but there is a report with CPS investigators about being held against her will for 3 months with that detail excluded....this was done by her family so theres pressure to make sure she doesn't complain to the police.
If she reported to CPS that she was held against her will, they would have immediately reported this to local law enforcement. If the police were NOT involved, then there is a lot being left out of this story. False imprisonment is a crime pursuant to PC 237(a), and it can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor.

If the female in question is also a minor, then there is a whole plethora of new possibilities ... not to mention the possible domestic violence angle. *IF* this has actually occurred, someone needs to call the police.

So, how did someone hold your "wife" against her will for 3 months while she was pregnant???

quincy

Your wife can call the police and report the battery. It is a misdemeanor criminal offense pursuant to PC 242. The fact that she was pregnant will not change the underlying offense.

If she reported to CPS that she was held against her will, they would have immediately reported this to local law enforcement. If the police were NOT involved, then there is a lot being left out of this story. False imprisonment is a crime pursuant to PC 237(a), and it can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor.

If the female in question is also a minor, then there is a whole plethora of new possibilities ... not to mention the possible domestic violence angle. *IF* this has actually occurred, someone needs to call the police.

So, how did someone hold your "wife" against her will for 3 months while she was pregnant???
I believe this was detailed in another thread (under a different user name).

CdwJava

I see a previous post from March regarding another ... uh ... peculiar CPS situation. Not sure if this is a line of fecal matter or not, so, it seems that all that can be done is reply based upon the face value of what was said here even though I KNOW there is more to this.

quincy

I see a previous post from March regarding another ... uh ... peculiar CPS situation. Not sure if this is a line of fecal matter or not, so, it seems that all that can be done is reply based upon the face value of what was said here even though I KNOW there is more to this.
Fair enough. :)

HRZ

IF she is not your wife then she is not your wife...as you posted earlier

IF somebody assaulted her or held her hostage , she calls police...if she comes from some culture that treats women as property or 3d class beings...she calls the police in her town

HilarityClinton

IF she is not your wife then she is not your wife...as you posted earlier

IF somebody assaulted her or held her hostage , she calls police...if she comes from some culture that treats women as property or 3d class beings...she calls the police in her town
you must not be from america where people come from many cultural backgrounds. you can't say she isn't my wife if you aren't aware of other cultures...just a lesson for an ignorant who keeps trying to push default logic on people without any awareness of the world around them.

quincy

you must not be from america where people come from many cultural backgrounds. you can't say she isn't my wife if you aren't aware of other cultures...just a lesson for an ignorant who keeps trying to push default logic on people without any awareness of the world around them.
CdwJava provided you with what charges are possible. But someone - anyone - needs to let the police know what happened first.

Good luck.

CdwJava

A spouse is a legal relationship. You can consider someone a soulmate, mate, lover, even husband or wife if you want to, but in the US a "wife" denotes a specific LEGAL relationship that requires certain actions under the law.

So, either this woman is your legal spouse, or she is not. In any event, until a report is made to the police, this is all moot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">