• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What percentage of LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bb2147

Would it have made a difference if the business account was not used to pay marital bills? If yes, is there a length of time that needs to lapse in order for business accounts not to be included?

LdiJ

So, even though the business is in my name only, stbx has contributed nothing, business bank accounts are considered marital assets no matter what? Would it be 50% entitlement automatically, or is the fact that stbx has done nothing for the business be taken into consideration?

What kind of problems regarding business checks & household bills?

I really appreciate info you are giving me.
Let me explain this a little differently. You are a single member LLC. Your business has few fixed assets nor any real need for long term financial planning or capital build up. As we have already determined its a business that is based almost exclusively on your skills.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason for there to be more money in the business bank accounts than what it takes to pay the bills of the business on an ongoing basis.

If you have savings accounts, money market accounts or excess money in the regular business checking account then you have deliberately chosen not to distribute profits to yourself. Therefore, those monies are marital assets subject to division.

It doesn't matter if you stop paying marital bills with the money for any particular length of time. Its still your profit, and its still a marital asset.

Its also a little foolish to keep excess profits in the company name. The LLC provides some limited liability but if its full of cash that should have been distributed to you personally, then money that would otherwise be protected is up for grabs if you get sued.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">