• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if you are accused of being a threat to yourself or others?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

On two separate occasions in my 20s I was detained for 72 hours because they said that they have reason to believe I'm a threat to myself or others. Both times this happened, it happened practically for no reason.
I'm sure the persons involved in the detention would strongly disagree that "it happened practically for no reason."

I was sort of just operating on auto pilot
This is, for all intents and purposes, a completely meaningless statement in that it provides us with no useful information.

IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN
What should I say to them?
If what happens again? Who are "them"? You haven't provided any meaningful, relevant facts about the two incidents in the past such that anyone could intelligently assess what you ought to do if the same thing happens again. Your post #5 is still too vague to be meaningful. People don't get put on mental health holds for simply pacing back and forth, and you provided no details about where this happened and what was going on.

it was most likely in someone's house.
Most likely? You don't know?

someone I know who frequently says insulting things to me.
So...stay away from that person.

I'll wrap it up by saying that I was welcome in the person's house
But you said you weren't even sure it was someone's house...???

I'd strongly suggest you consult with a local mental health professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">