• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I haven't received child support for the last two months. I've spoken with the state disbursement unit and have been told that they haven't received any money. Ex insists that the money was taken out of his check as usual. I've told him he needs to follow up with the payroll people at his job to see when the money was actually sent. He refuses, saying basically, "not my problem." Do I have any recourse other than filing for arrears?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I haven't received child support for the last two months. I've spoken with the state disbursement unit and have been told that they haven't received any money. Ex insists that the money was taken out of his check as usual. I've told him he needs to follow up with the payroll people at his job to see when the money was actually sent. He refuses, saying basically, "not my problem." Do I have any recourse other than filing for arrears?
Quite frankly you won't get contempt finding or arrears finding IF dad has paychecks showing it was garnished. The issue is with his employer. Try calling your caseworker and having him/her call the employer to see if they sent it.

st-kitts

Quite frankly you won't get contempt finding or arrears finding IF dad has paychecks showing it was garnished. The issue is with his employer. .
Possibly with the employer, or possibly not. I have seen several recent cases where the money is sent correctly by the employer and the state system mis-allocates it. HUGE mess to try to get it fixed.

luckymom

Thanks for responding. I am not 100% sure that the money has been taken out of ex's paycheck. I told him that he should want to get this resolved as much as me and that all I am asking is that he make one call to payroll and tell me the date it was supposedly sent to the disbursement unit. He refuses. I am pretty sure his payroll won't speak to me. Needless to say, he's not offering to show me paystubbs either!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">