• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What type of an attorny is needed for this case? Any referral for one in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharpie24

What is the name of your state? This happened in New Jeresy, but I currently live in another state.

In 2017, an unjustified foreclosure action was taken by a company called Bayview against us, and as a result, our only property located in New Jeresy was foreclosed.

The action of foreclosure taken by Bayview was completed without warranting any notification or warnings from Bayview prior to foreclosure. Bayview had our mailing address in another state on file and was consistently mailing our mortgage bills to this address. However, Bayview, failed to send us any letters to notify us of its intent to foreclose our property. Therefore, we had no knowledge of Bayview’s intent to foreclose. In fact, we were surprised by a call from a friend who lived close by the house informing us that new residents were occupying OUR HOME (that was only a few days after the forclosure happened in 2017), it was too late to do anything.

State law clearly States the following

“requires that all residential mortgage lenders give residential mortgage debtors at least 30 days prior notice before commencing any foreclosure or other legal action to take possession of property (the “Notice of Intention to Foreclose”). The Notice of Intention to Foreclose must be sent by regular and certified mail and cannot be sent more than 180 days before the commencement of such action. The Notice must contain all the information set forth in NJSA 2A:50-56 et seq.”

Despite the clear state law, we never received any regular or certified mail from Bayview to communicate it’s intent to foreclose our house. As a result, the foreclosure process was unjustified and invalid.

The unjustified foreclosure action by Bayview resulted in the following losses and damages:

• Loss of our only property.
• Took our chance of being a first-time house buyer; this means we will not be able to claim privileges given to first-time house buyers for our next house purchase. Furthermore, we would have to pay Mortgage insurance causing long-term financial loss.
• This damaged our credit report, which ultimately led to two issues; 1)slim chances of being approved by a lender to buy a house, and 2) If we were to be approved by a lender, the APR would substantially be higher than it would have been if we didn’t have a foreclosure on my credit report causing extreme long-term financial loss.
• Most importantly, we lost the memories we had shared as a family in this house, causing extreme anguish and pain for my family.

I tried to reach out to Bayview for a settlement, but they said that Bayview was purchased by Mr. Cooper in 2019 and they are not responsible for what Bayview did.

I'm heartbroken, I don't know what to do and what type of an attorney I should reach out to. I'm already 50 years old, my husband is 60, we have three grownup kids and we are still renting a house because we can't afford to buy a house after what happened. Please help me with ideas! Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This happened six years ago, and you are now claiming you didn't know and only just found out? I'm sorry, but that is not believable.
In any case, you will want to find an attorney specializing in foreclosures to help you with this matter. This forum is not a referral site.

Sharpie24

This happened six years ago, and you are now claiming you didn't know and only just found out? I'm sorry, but that is not believable.
In any case, you will want to find an attorney specializing in foreclosures to help you with this matter. This forum is not a referral site.
Unfortunately, you jumped to conclusions so quickly. We found out a few days after the house was foreclosed. So I knew back in 2017. I was in disbelief, and I didn't know my full rights back then. But I can't stop thinking about it till this day because it caused so many damages; both financially and emotionally.

I had to edit the post because I'm emotionally broken and can not deal with people who jumps to conclusions too quickly!

Last edited:

Zigner

Unfortunately, you jumped to conclusions so quickly. We found out a few days after the house was foreclosed. So I knew back in 2017. I was in disbelief, and I didn't know my full rights back then. But I can't stop thinking about it till this day because it caused so many damages; both financially and emotionally.

I had to edit the post because I'm emotionally broken and can not deal with people who jumps to conclusions too quickly!
The time to act was in 2017 when you discovered this. Waiting so long may have fatally damaged your case. Speak to an attorney.

Oh, and about the "jumping to conclusions" thing - your post made no mention of you knowing about this in 2017. I suggest you try to communicate the situation more clearly to the attorney(s) you speak to. The old adage "time is money" is especially true for them!

Sharpie24

The time to act was in 2017 when you discovered this. Waiting so long may have fatally damaged your case. Speak to an attorney.

Oh, and about the "jumping to conclusions" thing - your post made no mention of you knowing about this in 2017. I suggest you try to communicate the situation more clearly to the attorney(s) you speak to. The old adage "time is money" is especially true for them!
You're right; my post wasn't too clear about the timing of the events!

Do you happen to know what type of attorney I should get in touch with? I'm not sure if a foreclosure attorney is the right one since I'm seeking compensation for the damages this issue has caused us, I'm not seeking a foreclosure overturn because I'm pretty sure this is impossible.

Sharpie24

I don't want to jump to any conclusions so please tell me why you say it was "unjustified"?
Because I never received any notifications from them about their intent to foreclose, I received "ZERO" correspondence from them, even though they used to mail the mortgage bills to my new address in the other state. The law requires a notification about the foreclosure at least 30 days before it happens, mailed by regular and certified mail. If I had received this mail, I would have quickly filed a motion in court to stop the foreclosure.

Zigner

Because I never received any notifications from them about their intent to foreclose, I received "ZERO" correspondence from them, even though they used to mail the mortgage bills to my new address in the other state. The law requires a notification about the foreclosure at least 30 days before it happens, mailed by regular and certified mail. If I had received this mail, I would have quickly filed a motion in court to stop the foreclosure.
It's now SIX years later. Your time to contest the matter is likely long past. As I mentioned in my first post, search for an attorney that specializes in foreclosures in New Jersey. Go to your favorite web search engine (Google, Duck Duck Go, whatever) and search for New Jersey foreclosure attorney. You'll get a gazillion sites.

Sharpie24

I don't want to jump to any conclusions so please tell me why you say it was "unjustified"?

Sharpie24

It's now SIX years later. Your time to contest the matter is likely long past. As I mentioned in my first post, search for an attorney that specializes in foreclosures in New Jersey. Go to your favorite web search engine (Google, Duck Duck Go, whatever) and search for New Jersey foreclosure attorney. You'll get a gazillion sites.
Great, my first response was meant to answer AdjusterJack! But thanks for the advice anyway!

Zigner

Were notices sent to the property?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How many payments had you missed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">