• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What "type of work" for a Book that includes a DVD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff2387

I'm looking to register my copyright for an instruction book that I wrote. The book was successful, so in later years, I added a DVD video component to it, and I now sell them as a package (the DVD is attached to the inside cover of the booklet) Pretty basic, however, I cannot figure out if I should be choosing literary or motion picture for type of work? Or maybe I should be registering each component separately? Thank you for any suggestions based on your experience.

quincy

I'm looking to register my copyright for an instruction book that I wrote. The book was successful, so in later years, I added a DVD video component to it, and I now sell them as a package (the DVD is attached to the inside cover of the booklet) Pretty basic, however, I cannot figure out if I should be choosing literary or motion picture for type of work? Or maybe I should be registering each component separately? Thank you for any suggestions based on your experience.
Are you located in the U.S? If so, in what state do you reside?

You can register your works separately.

Jeff2387

Yes, in the USA, not sure why the state matters for federal copyright registration, but I'm in ID.
Should they be registered separately? They're not separate products, the video supports the book basically

quincy

Yes, in the USA, not sure why the state matters for federal copyright registration, but I'm in ID.
Should they be registered separately? They're not separate products, the video supports the book basically
Thank you for answering my question. The state name is requested of all posters to this forum. I understand that the state name is not really necessary for your question.

Read through the following information, with particular attention paid to “Registration of a Unit of Publication” in this circular from the U.S.Copyright Office:
https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While bundled to together and sold as one product, I think it will help you to view the book and the DVD as distinct works. You want to protect each work and would want to register each work individually as a result. Moreover, while you sell the two works together now, that has not always been the case in the past and may not always be the case in the future.

quincy

While bundled to together and sold as one product, I think it will help you to view the book and the DVD as distinct works. You want to protect each work and would want to register each work individually as a result. Moreover, while you sell the two works together now, that has not always been the case in the past and may not always be the case in the future.
The book was published years ago. The book and DVD should be registered separately.

quincy

It is very difficult to register works together on a single application. Most works won’t qualify as a unit of publication. The application will not be accepted.

Fortunately, copyright registration costs remain relatively low ($35-$65 per application).

quincy

They are separate works for copyright registration purposes, because the book was published separate from the DVD years before. They both now must be registered separately.

They are being sold together now, however, so, for copyright infringement purposes, the infringement of the package (book with DVD) can lead to a single copyright infringement lawsuit.

The link I provided earlier, to the Copyright Office’s Circular 34, explains nicely what works can be registered as a “unit” (on a single application) and what cannot.

I should also note that registration of a work is not necessary for the work to have copyright protection. Copyrights are automatic once a work is fixed in tangible form (e.g., words on paper, paint on canvas, music on recorder).

Timely registration of the copyright provides the copyright holder with additional protection, however. Not only does registration provide the copyright holder with the presumption of ownership, with timely registration the copyrighted work becomes eligible for statutory damages when the copyrighted work is infringed - $750 to $30,000/infringed work, or up to $150,000/work for especially egregious infringement.

Being eligible for statutory damages if your work is infringed is a good reason to register your copyrighted work with the U.S. Copyright Office prior to publication of your work, especially since the cost of registration is so low compared to the protection it offers.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">