• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's a "white report"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? It happened in SC

Anybody ever hear of a "white report"?

Somebody hit my car Saturday, but I didn't realize it had been hit until this morning. I figured I'd need a police report for the insurance, but the PD said they won't do a formal report because it happened two days ago. He did say they could provide me with a "white report" which is, basically, a blank form that I fill out to give to my insurance company. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Is this something that really matters, or does "white report" mean "We won't do a real report, but give her something in writing to make her happy"? Of course I'm going to ask my insurance company about it tomorrow, but I'm curious now and am wondering if anyone knows if this has any real significance.

The infuriating thing is, I know who did it and how it happened, and there's not a thing I can do about it. It's frustrating.

ecmst12

I've never heard it referred to like that, but after-the-fact police reports usually just consist of an officer writing down what you tell them.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? It happened in SC

Anybody ever hear of a "white report"?

Somebody hit my car Saturday, but I didn't realize it had been hit until this morning. I figured I'd need a police report for the insurance, but the PD said they won't do a formal report because it happened two days ago. He did say they could provide me with a "white report" which is, basically, a blank form that I fill out to give to my insurance company. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Is this something that really matters, or does "white report" mean "We won't do a real report, but give her something in writing to make her happy"? Of course I'm going to ask my insurance company about it tomorrow, but I'm curious now and am wondering if anyone knows if this has any real significance.

The infuriating thing is, I know who did it and how it happened, and there's not a thing I can do about it. It's frustrating.
Well, while I have never heard of a "white report" in the way you are describing it, I do know that you need no police report to submit a claim. I know of a form from the dmv (in NY), an accident report you fill in yourself that is white if you print it on white paper! lol it just basically asks you to describe the incident, the damage and maybe a diagram.

here in NY if a police would have told me about giving me a white report, here in NY that would mean he is giving me a white slip, with a report number on it, that I have to pay to get a copy of.

good luck!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I've never heard it referred to like that, but after-the-fact police reports usually just consist of an officer writing down what you tell them.
That's what puzzles me the most, I think. It's really only a difference in format. And I don't need a form to relate what happened in writing, if the form has no special significance. Come to think of it, in this case an "official" police report would be nothing more than a "this is what she told us" statement anyway.

What I want is for them to blue-light-and-siren their way to this drunken idiot's house, skid into his yard, ram his door open, get crime scene out to take fingerprints and plaster impressions, confiscate his cars, and toss him in the pokey until he's convicted and gets 20 years. And he has to pay my deductible. Jerk.

Thanks Em, thanks Princess.

ecmst12

Heh, unfortunately that probably won't happen. Unless you live in a really small town, hit and runs to parked cars rarely get investigated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">