• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whats my state of residency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

militarywife

I want to know what exactly determine the legal state of residency. My military spouse is a NY state resident (as am I, I thought.) We are both still registered voters in NY, although we are stationed in CA. Now we are buying a house in CA, although we still consider it "temporary", that is, we will sell and move when his orders dictate a new location. I got a CA driver's license only because CA says I have to have one, even though my husband doesn't have to change. I work in CA. Does my now buying a house make me a CA resident automatically?

L

loku

NY resident

Under the facts you give, you are still a NY resident.

The main rule is that:

The spouses of military personnel who come to California are California residents if here for other than a temporary or transitory purpose. (1997 FTB Pub 1032, Tax Information for Military Personnel).

Purchasing a house does not change the residency of military personnel or their spouses. The rule that follows comes from a letter from the Franchise Tax Board:

A member of the armed forces owning a house in California is not a resident of the state where his presence resulted from military orders and his assignments were temporary in nature, extending to a maximum of two years but subject to termination at any time.

In order to show taxpayer a California resident for income tax purposes, his presence in California must not have been of a temporary or transitory nature. Taxpayer’s presence resulted from his military orders. Such assignments were temporary in nature, extending for a maximum of two years, but subject to termination at any time. The mere acquisition of a house is insufficient to bring taxpayer within the scope of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Relief Act and, thus, “freeze” a California residence status on the taxpayer for all periods after its effective date. Therefore, in view of the above, it is concluded that taxpayer has not acquired a resident status in California. FTB, LR 93, December 5, 1958.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">