• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whistleblower harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joseph17

What is the name of your state? nj

I think I uncovered a conspiracy by my employer to conceal problems with the building which my employer leases. Apparently, there have been long time problems with the air conditioning/heating system, without telling the workers. Now, after suffering temperatures reaching almost 80 degrees in the office, I had to complain to upper management and the union, and now my employer is harassing me....watching my every move and is being very strict..being watched like a child. They could care less about the workers health/ well being and safety.

The union said they are working on it and I may have to file a grievance, but in the mean time, do I (and others) have to suffer the extreme heat causing breathing problems, on a daily basis? Is there a law protecting whistle blowers?

Joe/NJ

Beth3

"do I (and others) have to suffer the extreme heat causing breathing problems, on a daily basis?" Until such time as the building owner fixes the HVAC, yes. While I certainly won't argue that 80 degrees in the office would be uncomfortable, that does not remotely violate any OSHA or similar safety regulations, and it sure doesn't qualify as extreme heat. (Think for a moment about the kind of working conditions a blast furnace operator has to endure.)

"Is there a law protecting whistle blowers?" Sure. But you are not a whistleblower. Complaining to management that you are uncomfortable doesn't remotely fall under whistleblower protections.

T

Tuckybuckmaster

Shoot I wish it was only 80 degrees where i worked, most of this summer it was at least 110 degrees in my area and over 120 near the production lines.

Be careful what you complain about, there are people out there who are enduring much worse.

J

joseph17

thank you for your replies.
apparently they have been able to get the airconditioning to work better since I complained. additionally, I was able to work out a plan whereby I can temporarily move to a better area if need be, which apparently had been done earlier for others, without my knowing.

i realize i may be an extra sensitive person and others have endured worse than me, and i have to be aware of this and pick my battles carefully as the world is not always going to be a perfect place to live..unless i find a bubble to live in!

Regards,

Joe/NJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">