• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can claim the property when it's left on common place of the shared apt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomtom24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I used to share with 3 people in one loft apartment.
When I moved in, their old roomie left her futon bed.
One of my roomies, who moved in 15 days ealier than me, used the part of the bed.
She claimed she may gonna use the rest of the pieces, but she's been leaving that for a long time.
Maybe the person who's living there earlier has priority for what she'll get, but she's leaving that and doesn't look like she's using, and she left it on my loft (It's because many people put many stuffs on my loft when I moved in).

By law, can she claim that the bed she didn't buy is her property?

Actually, I used the pieces for other things, and now she's claiming that she need the rest of the pieces, and telling that she'll pull the full cost of the bed from my security deposit.

Her name's not in the lease, and I already left the apartment, and will get the deposit soon. I don't want nay trouble, but I don't wanna buy her a new bed, because the pieces she left on the loft wasn't bought by her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">