• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets paid if an incapacitated person dies before the final hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rfrenzke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My brother filed a petition for appointment of permanent guardian of our incapacitated father. He was awarded temporary guardianship up until he filed for permanent guardianship. However, dad passed away before the final hearing to appoint my brother as the conservator. Is my brother entitled to have his legal fees paid from my dad's estate? My dad had no property and a small bank account with around $10,000 in it. He did have an insurance policy but just enough to pay for the funeral.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My brother filed a petition for appointment of permanent guardian of our incapacitated father. He was awarded temporary guardianship up until he filed for permanent guardianship. However, dad passed away before the final hearing to appoint my brother as the conservator. Is my brother entitled to have his legal fees paid from my dad's estate? My dad had no property and a small bank account with around $10,000 in it. He did have an insurance policy but just enough to pay for the funeral.
Your brother would need to ask his lawyer that question. The answer depends on the orders entered in the case and the details of the guardianship proceeding, none of which we know.

HRZ

Laymens guess...this gets presented to Dads executor / administror who pays the bills in sequence as provided by state law , if it is an estate expense ...and if there is but 50'cents on dollar to pay out ..so be it ...but executor/administrator needs to be careful not to pay friendly bills and short other creditors ....

latigo

Yes. The "reasonable" expenses incurred in the process being for the benefit of the now deceased father would be a proper subject for a creditor's claim against his estate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes. The "reasonable" expenses incurred in the process being for the benefit of the now deceased father would be a proper subject for a creditor's claim against his estate.
Sure - but only after the costs of administration and the cost of the funeral are dealt with. And, that creditor's claim would have no priority over any other creditor's claim of the same class. In other words, it' s not likely to get paid in full either way.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sure - but only after the costs of administration and the cost of the funeral are dealt with. And, that creditor's claim would have no priority over any other creditor's claim of the same class. In other words, it' s not likely to get paid in full either way.
Mind you, the question was, "Who gets paid"... not "Who pays." :D

I suspect the *lawyer* gets paid... and knows who to pursue and how.

Since Dad had so little, how was this going to be paid if Dad *had not* died before permanent guardianship was established? Pretty sure that brother was already paying the lawyer to establish the guardianship, if Dad didn't even have enough to cover his own nursing home bill. I can't imagine a lawyer would start the process without some hope of being paid.

So that begs the question: who is the OP in this? Executor or just curious?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">