• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who is entitled to engagement ring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mary allen

Two years ago, I broke off my engagement, my ex insisted I keep the ring. Months went by without contact, I sold the ring, later regretted the decision, and bought it back. Due to an emotional encounter last month, my ex now has posession of my ring. We had a verbal agreement two weeks ago via a phone conversation that he would make arrangements to return my ring, which he has not done. I also have my receipt from purchasing the ring back, and am curious if there are any laws regarding engagement rings when a marriage hasn't taken place. I have filed a claim against him, of course after notifying him of my intent, and now I need to know my rights before our court date. Thank you for your time.

ALawyer

Usually the giving of an engagement ring is a gift from the prospective groom to the prospective bride. Once made, that's the end -- it is hers.

Most states also have laws making such "gifts" unconditional to keep the courts from having to deal with ex-lovers' spite or nusiance cases -- in the scheme of things they are but trivial lawsuits -- "the Lord and the law have no anger greater than a woman spurned" sort of thing.

Here it looks as if he gave you a gift, then you were either dumb or decent enough to give it back as a gift to him. (That you sold it and paid for it back from a shop is irrelevant.) If so it would be his, unless he got it back by force or threats or fraud.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

M

mary allen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
Usually the giving of an engagement ring is a gift from the prospective groom to the prospective bride. Once made, that's the end -- it is hers.

Most states also have laws making such "gifts" unconditional to keep the courts from having to deal with ex-lovers' spite or nusiance cases -- in the scheme of things they are but trivial lawsuits -- "the Lord and the law have no anger greater than a woman spurned" sort of thing.

Here it looks as if he gave you a gift, then you were either dumb or decent enough to give it back as a gift to him. (That you sold it and paid for it back from a shop is irrelevant.) If so it would be his, unless he got it back by force or threats or fraud.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">