• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who should pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lesbixby

I am renting house and the other night the ice fell of the roof of the house and landed on the bumper of my car. This took the bumper completely off of my car.My car insurance is paying for it minus the five houndred dollar deductable who would be responsible for the $500 dollars? I spoke with my landlord and he said that the home owners insurance will not pay for it bacause the auto insurance will, so should my landlord intern have to pay for the deductable or myself? I live in the state of New York.

D

dj1

Well it depends on wether you have a lease and it doesnt expire for a while.

If you do then the landlord must give you his insuance company and they will make the determination, it should be covered since it was the landlord negligence to make sure the ice was removed....

BUT they will also look at where you parked the car and take photos, IF YOU could see the ice and you could have moved the car a few feet the other direction and avoided it hitting your car, well you didnt take enough care in parking your car out of harms way.

If you have no lease the landlord will give you a 30 day notice to vacate if you take him to small claims court for the $500.

Can you prove you had no clue it was dangerous, such as the car was parked there and there was NO ICE on the roof then all of a sudden a real nasty snowstorm came and we couldn't move the car, and thats when the Ice fell and tore off the bumper.

You see every detail is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">