• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who works as a passport agent???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A

Who is it that works as a passport agent? One of the regulars does...

Anyway, since I can't figure out who you are, I'm posting this question here.

Yeah, it's a hypothetical question, but one that is BOUND to come up....

In looking at the passport regulations for obtaining a passport for a minor, I noticed this:

STEP 3: Submit Evidence of Relationship

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant.
Evidence of Relationship (One of the following):
Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents’ names
Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents’ names*
Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names
Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names*
Court Order establishing custody
Court Order establishing guardianship
Just wondering. The State Dept. is obviously looking for a birth certificate which names BOTH parents (which is why I presume they bolded it). What happens to those who (1) haven't taken the time to establish paternity for whatever reason and (2) have no father listed on their children's birth certificate????? Are they then forced to establish paternity?

LdiJ

In looking at the passport regulations for obtaining a passport for a minor, I noticed this:

Just wondering. The State Dept. is obviously looking for a birth certificate which names BOTH parents (which is why I presume they bolded it). What happens to those who (1) haven't taken the time to establish paternity for whatever reason and (2) have no father listed on their children's birth certificate????? Are they then forced to establish paternity?
I am not a passport agent, but I know several people who are single parents (without another parent on the BC, for various reasons) and none of them had to produce documentation with both parent's names.

There are children out there who legitimately do not have two identifiable parents.

ProSeDadinMD

C'mon, you know we don't do "hypotheticals" here.:p

CourtClerk

I am not a passport agent, but I know several people who are single parents (without another parent on the BC, for various reasons) and none of them had to produce documentation with both parent's names.

There are children out there who legitimately do not have two identifiable parents.
However, I'm assuming that if the State Dept. has this on their website, took all that time to even put it in bold, that they actually mean it.

Perky

According to the website, there is a form available (DS-3053) for those situations when "the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained". The applying parent has to explain why the other parent's signature cannot be obtained.

It also states that if only one parent is listed on the birth certificate, that is sufficient to allow only that parent to apply.

Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16

mom6399

Okay, I'll make this not hypothetical

I want to obtain a passport for my child. I have been told (from the local passport office), that the father on the birth certificate must provide notarized consent for a passport to be obtained...I live in GA. Also have a friend with no legal custody arrangement, not married to dad when kid was born, does not see or support the child, but as he is listed on the BC, he must sign the application or provide notarized consent as noted above?

I have full legal and residential custody; fathers visitation rights are terminated and there is a restraining order against him contacting child or myself...

So...must I pay my attorney to petition the courts to allow me to obtain a passport for my child?

Thank you for the ongoing wisdom... :)

mom

Perky

The website says that one parent may apply if there is a:

Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
You'll have to take your court order with you when you apply.

CourtClerk

Here's the thing, on that page it says read and understand steps 1 - 7 before (there's that bold again) leaving this page:

Step 3 is the evidence of relationship, which started this thread.
Step 5 speaks on parental consent, which includes providing the court order or declaration regarding where ever the other parent is.

So, if I'm taking this literally.... you must complete BOTH step 3 and 5.

Has anyone in this situation tried to get their kid a passport in the last couple of months? Perhaps this is a new policy.

CourtClerk

According to the website, there is a form available (DS-3053) for those situations when "the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained". The applying parent has to explain why the other parent's signature cannot be obtained.
That's step 5... see step 3. Same link.

Perky

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. They do kind of leave the door open a bit in the sentence above the box in step 3 with the (s) on parent/guardian.

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant.
I guess we'll have to wait for the passport agent!:D

ETA: Okay, that whole page is confusing. In step one it says:

Must apply in person with both parents/guardian(s)
And then it goes on to explain how to apply with just a parent's signature, or how to apply with only one parent's consent, etc.

It's a government website. I guess it's supposed to be confusing. :p

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Hey CC - when I get the judge to order that nincumpoop sign that passport form, I'll ask. Hopefully, that will take place in like two weeks here.

I read through all that paperwork. What I understood was that if there was only one parent on the birth certificate, that was the only parent who needed to do the paperwork.

CourtClerk

Hey CC - when I get the judge to order that nincumpoop sign that passport form, I'll ask. Hopefully, that will take place in like two weeks here.
But isn't the nincumpoop's (I never knew how that was spelled...) name on the birth cert?
I read through all that paperwork. What I understood was that if there was only one parent on the birth certificate, that was the only parent who needed to do the paperwork.
That was my understanding as well, however, seems like something may have changed because it clearly asks for a bc with BOTH names or a court order... see link.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">