• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife filed legal separation in Washington St

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I moved to New Jersey (wife’s home state) to start our life here, my family was supposed to join me in 3 months. When the time came for them to be here, I was served with legal separation paperwork. They want me to have a psychological study and enter into anger management (I’m retired military with PTSD) I believe my wife was trying to push my buttons, and I sent some nasty texts. I said I was going to break my lease (jointly signed by her, $2,400 a month) and move back to Washington to be by my kids. I have been threatened with restraining orders if I moved back. So now I’m stuck here, and they are cutting the time I get to talk to my kids. Can I get any advice here?

PayrollHRGuy

Get some counseling and move back and don't be a threat when you do. No restraining order is going to keep you out of a state.

HRZ

Another thought: Not clear who is a resident of what state for how long ....and you might rush to sort out if this is a NJ matter before they establish residency in WA ...often 6 mos... if NJ is the state that is

I have not sent back the response yet, can I ask for my kids to not interact with a certain person in the response?

adjusterjack

I have not sent back the response yet, can I ask for my kids to not interact with a certain person in the response?
You can "ask." Whether the court orders it or not is anybody's guess.

We both lived in Washington for 4 years before I took the job in Jersey
Then you are stuck with handling this in WA.

I suggest you hire yourself an attorney in WA to protect your interests. If you can't or won't then study up on the WA court website and pay close attention to the forms:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=25

Litigator22

WARNING!

If you respond to the wife's petition, meaning the filing of a written response to her petition, you will risk being subjected to the personal jurisdiction of the Washington state court. Which is something that court does not have at the present time.

So unless you want to be vulnerable to orders emanating out of the state of Washington don't do anything with respect to her petition until you have consulted with your attorney.

Yeah, they were trying to get me to settle it through her lawyer, and I was trying, but now the lawyer is getting ridiculous. I had 60 days to respond and that time is coming up quick

Just Blue

I moved to New Jersey (wife’s home state) to start our life here, my family was supposed to join me in 3 months. When the time came for them to be here, I was served with legal separation paperwork. They want me to have a psychological study and enter into anger management (I’m retired military with PTSD) I believe my wife was trying to push my buttons, and I sent some nasty texts. I said I was going to break my lease (jointly signed by her, $2,400 a month) and move back to Washington to be by my kids. I have been threatened with restraining orders if I moved back. So now I’m stuck here, and they are cutting the time I get to talk to my kids. Can I get any advice here?
Please define "nasty texts". Thanks ...

LdiJ

WARNING!

If you respond to the wife's petition, meaning the filing of a written response to her petition, you will risk being subjected to the personal jurisdiction of the Washington state court. Which is something that court does not have at the present time.

So unless you want to be vulnerable to orders emanating out of the state of Washington don't do anything with respect to her petition until you have consulted with your attorney.
Washington state DOES have jurisdiction over matters regarding the children and their custody, therefore unless he wants to roll over and play dead he has to accept the jurisdiction of Washington state.

PayrollHRGuy

If there were no threats then you should be able to defend your self in a restraining order hearing.

Get a WA lawyer tomorrow.

adjusterjack

And if he doesn't respond she gets whatever she wants by default which can be domesticated and enforced in NJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">