• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Winter Break versus Snow Day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ironic wording. I explained to her mother that since she's refusing to let our daughter to come to her grandmother's funeral on Wednesday, as she's required to per our court order, I'd appreciate the opportunity to let our daughter say goodbye to our family tonight since she will not be able to on Wednesday. I just want our daughter to get a chance to say goodbye to our family, who have flown in from all over the United States.
Ironic user name MaddieP for a father. Who are you really?

MaddieP

Go to pick your child up. If you are not allowed to do so, then file in court for contempt. This has nothing to do with the snow day.

Her mother has yet to agree to allow me to pick up our daughter for the funeral and has not selected a place to do so. If she does in fact send our child to school that day, is it advisable to go to the school to pick our daughter up, without expression communication from her mom?

MaddieP

I'm not seeing whete your order says kiddo goes to the funeral. Perhaps I missed it?

Family deaths/critical illnesses: "...the parent to whom the ill/deceased is related shall be allowed to take XXX to either visit the critically ill family member for a period of 4 hours or to funeral/memorial services for a period of 8 hours, even if it is not that parent’s parenting time with XXX. This will allow XXX time to either spend quality time with the critically ill family member, or, if applicable, time to say goodbye and grieve. The parent related to the ill/deceased family member will be responsible for picking up and dropping off XXX at a location of the other parent’s choosing."

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Family deaths/critical illnesses: "...the parent to whom the ill/deceased is related shall be allowed to take XXX to either visit the critically ill family member for a period of 4 hours or to funeral/memorial services for a period of 8 hours, even if it is not that parent’s parenting time with XXX. This will allow XXX time to either spend quality time with the critically ill family member, or, if applicable, time to say goodbye and grieve. The parent related to the ill/deceased family member will be responsible for picking up and dropping off XXX at a location of the other parent’s choosing."
One note I will make.... This is to allow XXX to say goodbye to the deceased, not extended family. Just saying.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Erm... Does that mean she cannot go?
I didn't say that. You posted that she should either stay with you an extra night or go to the funeral so she can say goodbye to extended family. That is not the intent - as I read it - of what is in your order.

Let me ask you this - what was the scope of your daughter's relationship with the deceased?

May as well as the related question - what is her relationship with the extended family attending the funeral, since they apparently don't visit for years at a time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didn't say that. You posted that she should either stay with you an extra night or go to the funeral so she can say goodbye to extended family. That is not the intent - as I read it - of what is in your order.
Actually, the intent is to give 8 hours for the child to attend the funeral. ;)

Silverplum

Elsewhere s/he's kaitlyn, and the children are much younger: http://www.thelaw.com/threads/reunification-parenting-plan.63629/

and: http://www.thelaw.com/threads/reunification-parenting-plan.63629/

:rolleyes:

First off I am very sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation with my daughter her dads parenting time was on the weekend of her grandmothers funeral (dads mom) they had been astranged for some time how ever I made sure she got to see her grand parents as I felt it was in her best interest. Anyhow he tricked her into going to walmart with his girl friend and came to the funeral home long enough just to get a announcement for work and walked out. Our daughter was devastated she did not get to go say good buy to her grandma. How ever the good lord above was looking out for her and they had dug her grave sight in the wrong spot so they had to wait to burie her on Monday. I was approached by the paster and was told her would have a special grave sight service just for her on Monday. It was so nice and even some family members extended their stay to come. to this day she still brings up what happened and how upset she was with her dad over it. If it is indeed important to her to go say good by then by all means try to make it happen. It is a very important part of the grieving process. If you have attorneys mabie yours can contact hers first thing Monday am and work this out if not file contempt because the only thing this is going to hurt is your child. However do it for the right reasons. Good luck to ya.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Elsewhere s/he's kaitlyn, and the children are much younger: http://www.thelaw.com/threads/reunification-parenting-plan.63629/

and: http://www.thelaw.com/threads/reunification-parenting-plan.63629/

:rolleyes:
PSST... I am confused now. I saw another thread on expert law that mimics the above but MaddieP mentioned nothing about three kids? Did he/she?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">