• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wishy-washy boyfriend, wants to provide 60 day notice but doesn't want to deal with the leasing office.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Georgia. My boyfriend and I signed a lease in June 2019 and we will be breaking this lease in October 2019. We are aware of the termination fee. My concern is that, due to events that have transpired today my boyfriend is refusing to acknowledge the 60-day notice even though he has both verbally and in writing expressed consideration to move out. He is proclaiming that he will make a scene with the leasing office staff to the point that they will call law enforcement and he appears to be enthused by this. Again, we are not married but we have been together for going on five years now (all years being in the state of Georgia). Is there any way that I can sign the 60-day notice without him without me being penalized?

Just Blue

Georgia. My boyfriend and I signed a lease in June 2019 and we will be breaking this lease in October 2019. We are aware of the termination fee. My concern is that, due to events that have transpired today my boyfriend is refusing to acknowledge the 60-day notice even though he has both verbally and in writing expressed consideration to move out. He is proclaiming that he will make a scene with the leasing office staff to the point that they will call law enforcement and he appears to be enthused by this. Again, we are not married but we have been together for going on five years now (all years being in the state of Georgia). Is there any way that I can sign the 60-day notice without him without me being penalized?
I don't think I understand...Your BF would rather cause an potentially arrestable scene than sign the 60 notice ? Is that correct?

Gail in Georgia

I'm rather stunned by the stupidity of said boyfriend. Your lease appears to allow you to take advantage of an Early Lease Termination Clause with the appropriate notice and fee and instead Junior believes making an ass of himself and getting thrown in jail will, somehow, get him out of the lease earlier?

Is that his intention?

Gail

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
He is threatening to do this, I doubt he will fall through with it. He is extremely stubborn and not mentally stable at times.
I realize that you have a lot of time and history invested in this relationship.

However, it is not going to get better. VOE. There are worse things than wasting 5 years on an idiot. Wasting 6 years, for starters...

If he persists in being difficult, just give the 60 days notice for yourself, and hope for the best. He may wake up, or they may give you a break... Yes, he will probably be angry at you for doing the right thing. If he gets violently angry, do get help.

Gail in Georgia

To answer your question about just you signing the 60 day notice; yes, you could. This would imply that only you are interested in breaking the lease and that your boyfriend wishes to continue on with the lease. Management may inquire as to whether he has the funds to pay the entire rent himself.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">