• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Woman sues for wrongful pregnancy affter tubal ligation fails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

Normally, I would say she doesn't have a case because even sterilization can fail and that's covered in the consent. But her doctor only tied one tube! She only has one ovary, but you still need to tie both tubes because either tube can pick up an egg from either ovary - it's not even that uncommon. So I would say that this doctor did not meet the standard of care at all. And sickle cell disease is pretty terrible to live with.

justalayman

Normally, I would say she doesn't have a case because even sterilization can fail and that's covered in the consent. But her doctor only tied one tube! She only has one ovary, but you still need to tie both tubes because either tube can pick up an egg from either ovary - it's not even that uncommon. So I would say that this doctor did not meet the standard of care at all. And sickle cell disease is pretty terrible to live with.
I suspect she would have had a better chance of not becoming pregnant if he at least tied the correct tube:

Without a right ovary, Williams only needed her left Fallopian tube tied. But Rosner "tied," "excised" and "cauterized" Williams' right tube, according medical records obtained by ABCNews.com.

Williams’ left tube was intact and “normal in appearance” at the time of Kennadi’s birth, according to medical records from her C-section.
these folks just cannot get a break apparently.

Proserpina

That was a bit my point. I was crabbing about the headline, which seemed a little too tabloid-ish for what is a far more dangerous thing to have happen, rather than then "OMGZ my tube surgery failed off to the attorney we go" it projects.

*sensationalist. That's the word I wanted. Sorry.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">