• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work related asthma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vstar man

Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania Hello, For the past 4 year (progressively worsening the last 9 months) I’ve been suffering from what my doctor considers asthma, brought on by the lack of ventilation in the print shop I work for. This was determined after I explained to my doctor that when at home or away from work for as little as a few hours I feel better. Having said that, the chronic tightness in my chest each day at work has taken its toll. Although I can breath better at home, I still have breathing problems. My supervisor sent me to the worker's comp doctor and he made it so I could work in a clean environment. I’ve been told that I must see an allergist that can put together a test of the chemicals I work with to see if any of them are the culprit. The most recent turn of events is that I have been told I must take a job working in a different department of the company in order for my company to avoid the expense of me seeing the allergist. On one hand that’s good, on the other, this doesn’t fix my lungs. I will take the job because I need to be employed, but I would like to know what my rights are in regards to my on going lung issues? The company has decided not to pursue a fix for better ventilation, they have just stated take the new position or there will be no place for me with the company. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks In Advance Kevin


Senior Member
Transferring you to a different job/work area was a wise thing for your employer to do since it's pretty clear your present work environment is adversely affecting your health. That does not relieve your employer of the obligation to deal with your worker's compensation claim though.

Have you notified your employer that this is a WC claim? Are your medical bills being paid by their WC insurance carrier?

Vstar man

Junior Member
First, Thanks for you quick response. Yes, my employer has turned this matter over to WC and as of now all medical bills are taken care of. I guess I'll need to push the issue regardless of where I work in the company. If the company refuses to work with or help me make things right with my lugs, I may need to retain a lawer. Thanks again for your advice Kevin P.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential