• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work two full time jobs - ethics code & citizenship application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What conviction for violating what law are you talking about?

First off, he has not been convicted of violating any law.

Second, he has not violated any ethics policy. The policy does NOT say that he cannot have a second job; only that they want to approve it first to determine if there is a conflict of interest. No one is telling him that he should violate that requirement.

And even if he did, there could be no conviction because there would be no LAW violated.

PayrollHRGuy

Isn't a possible conviction for violating a law a good reason not to lie to an employer. OP knows the policy and has admitted on a public forum that he is willing to lie. How cn anything else he does be trusted.

I am troubled that so many people here are apparently excusing OP's violation of his potential employer's ethics policy because there are likely no violations of law. OP should look for an employer who does not care if OP has multiple jobs if indeed his first employer also does not care.
Because unless his lie is an actual crime there is no possible conviction or even criminal charge.

I generally try to not include what I think is moral on a post like this. The OP's question was asking if having two jobs is a crime. It isn't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It isn't even unethical.

The employer's policy doesn't say, "Don't have two jobs". The employer's policy says, "Don't have two jobs without telling us first".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not entirely, no.

There is nothing unethical about having two jobs. Not only have I had two jobs at one point, but the two actively cooperated in scheduling me so that the two did not conflict. (Yes, I realize that is unusual.)

There is nothing inherently unethical about not telling employer 1 about employer 2 (or vice versa) UNLESS not telling them violates one or the other employers' policy.

I can't think of a situation where lying would be considered ethical.

eerelations

Several decades ago I had a full-time government job that was M to F, starting at 8.00 am and ending whenever. I took on a second job for a family friend that was restricted to Saturday mornings from 10.00 'til noon, looking after (what I now know was a psychopathic) 10-year-old. When Job 1 asked me about second jobs I told them about Job 2. Never received a response. Kept Job 1 for four more years.

t74

When a conflict of interest statement or similar notice of additional employment is REQUIRED by organization contract, failing to file would be a breech of contract. A contract may state that the employment agreement is detailed in the company handbook. That is a legal issue.

In addition, there are some federal contracts which limit a person's employment at other than the employer with whom the government is contracting. Individuals working on the contract may be required to sign affidavits that they are complying with the terms of the contract. The government can - and may - prosecute the offender in federal court for not complying with the contract limitations. This situation currently can be found in some of the IP cases of university researchers serving as employees of foreign institutions, companies, or governments. The penalty for falsifying affidavits can be quite harsh.

To state categorically that one cannot get into legal trouble by failing to report a second job when required by employing organization policy in dangerous because it depends very much on the specific circumstances, That is why I suggested early on in the discussion that OP have his documents reviewed. Better still, he should assume that the employer has good reason for the requirement and not go to work for the employer if he is unwilling to comply fully.

Laws become necessary when people do not behave ethically and morally within society's expectations. Imagine how much simpler and less expensive life would be if people behaved reasonably - no theft, murder, tax fraud, .... and contract violations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As has been repeatedly pointed out,, failing to report a second job when such a report is required to do so, is an ethical problem. It is a moral problem. It can get one fired, and it might make it difficult, or even impossible, to get unemployment.

It will NOT result in a "conviction" of any kind because LYING TO YOUR EMPLOYER ABOUT A SECOND JOB IS NOT A CRIMINAL OFFENSE

Just Blue

Laws become necessary when people do not behave ethically and morally within society's expectations. Imagine how much simpler and less expensive life would be if people behaved reasonably - no theft, murder, tax fraud, .... and contract violations.
Are you actually comparing moonlighting with murder? Seriously?

PayrollHRGuy

As has been repeatedly pointed out,, failing to report a second job when such a report is required to do so, is an ethical problem. It is a moral problem. It can get one fired, and it might make it difficult, or even impossible, to get unemployment.

It will NOT result in a "conviction" of any kind because LYING TO YOUR EMPLOYER ABOUT A SECOND JOB IS NOT A CRIMINAL OFFENSE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What she said.

t74

Look at USA vs Simon Saw-Teong Ang case 5:20-CR-50029

The indictment is for 42 counts of wire fraud (among other things) resulting from he failure to properly notify his employer of other employee relationships.

One can not know - especially if the employer has government contracts - what might result from the failure to follow corporate/institution policies.

There are other cases where individuals falsified affidavits resulting in criminal charges.

PayrollHRGuy

Unless there is a monster-sized pile of information that the OP hasn't given us that case has NOTHING to do with this most importantly that he has a security clearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">