• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth talking to an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Yes after speaking with my insurance company, my insurance company feels that the other driver is more at fault, but that I also carry some fault and I can agree with that. However the problem is the other party told their insurance company that they were on the shoulder. This is blatantly false and the police report supports what I have said, that they were in the lane of travel completely. I know my insurance covers their damages, no problem. I’m more worried about what happens to me with my totaled vehicle (honestly not a huge loss and I have another, it’s just less suited for winter driving because it needs studded tires and it’s a 2wd SUV which is not the best for slick roads, and let’s face it, it’s Alaska the roads are questionable here 7 months out of the year lol) and more importantly the time I will have to take from work. Is it possible my liability insurance covers that? I do not know. They are still in the evidence gathering stage and will not tell me anything about possible payments or outcome until both sides come to an agreement on percentages of fault.

My first thought once I realized they were in my lane was that they were passing another vehicle so I thought slowing would give them space to complete a pass. Then my second thought was they were drunk and driving in the wrong side which was an assumption probably formed by my prior trauma from my husband being killed. I did not realize they were not moving until I had already begun braking and moving to avoid a collision. They were close enough to the curve that there was maybe a 30 second window to figure out what I was seeing and what I was going to do. This has been absolutely awful even without the injury as it has brought back up the nightmares and things I experienced being at the scene of my husband’s accident.

It is a dangerous road with a fatality rate 4 times the national average. But Alaskan drivers are a bit different. I have lived here for two winters now and I can tell you that 90% of the time I am driving far slower than the other drivers on this road. I get passed frequently in no passing zones. That particular area because of the uphill you do have to accelerate into it some or you don’t make it up lol. The curve itself is not overly sharp it is the combination of bend in the road and the uphill that makes visibility poor. I’ve actually made myself an appointment with the grief counselor I used before because I’m not sleeping well after this at all.

Another question, their insurance company called and left me a voicemail, and wants me to explain to them what happened. Is this the right thing for me to do? Or should I not agree to that?
You would be smart to consult with an attorney or your own insurer before speaking to the other driver’s insurer (or have one of them speak to the other insurer). You don’t want to say anything about the accident that you might regret (e.g., that you entered a blind curve at a speed that may be considered too fast for conditions or that you didn’t immediately recognize that the vehicle was immobile).

adjusterjack

Another question, their insurance company called and left me a voicemail, and wants me to explain to them what happened. Is this the right thing for me to do? Or should I not agree to that?
Do not agree to a recorded statement. An experienced claim rep has long ago learned ways of forming questions that can trip you up.

Advise the claim rep that you will submit your statement in writing.

Then write it up and have an attorney review it to make sure it puts you in the best light, while still being truthful about what happened.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I sincerely hope you are never involved in an accident immediately after a curve in the road. It had nothing to do with the condition of the road and everything to do with the fact that I’d just come around a curve and found a full size truck in my lane. So should everyone going around that curve slow to 10 mph in case someone decides to park there? The dot doesn’t think so because there is no speed reduction posted for that area.
Yes, I slow when I'm navigating a BLIND CURVE. You should never drive faster than you can see. Really.

The snow/icy conditions just add to the need for caution.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm wondering how your car got totaled from "clipping" the other vehicle. Maybe I missed something here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">