• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrecked but behind the wheel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loc11nc

wrecked but not behind the wheel

so i leave my buddy's house at 3:300A. On the way I "fall Asleep" and crash my truck into a tree (totalling the truck!). I leave the vehicle but a 100 yards down the road realize I left my cell phone so I walk back. No big deal. I again walk down the road and not to long after, 2 cop cars pull up on me. I admit nothing but yet am faced with a pending DWI> Not behind the wheel, no keys in the ignition...what do you suggest?>

Last edited:

LawGirl10

I know the perfect defense for you, but I don't care for drunk drivers much so I think I will keep the idea to myself.

gawm

LawGirl10 said:
I know the perfect defense for you, but I don't care for drunk drivers much so I think I will keep the idea to myself.
You're such a tease! ;)

Last edited:
OP: Google "probable cause" and that may answer the question as to why it doesn't matter that you were not "behind the wheel".

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Consider what you offered to the cops. What answers did you give to their questions? Did you admit to having driven the car; to owning the car? That you left the scene of an accident?

loc11nc

I know it's not a safe or proud moment

It's thankful that no one, including myself was hurt. It was an eye opening incident (realizing how quick it can happen, vehicle totalled, pending conviction, etc...) I'm not defending this, just trying to figure out how to proceed from here. Thanks for the responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">