• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Animal Euthanasia!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowCajun

What is the name of your state? Washington - Spokane area!

I found a cat cold and hungry running loose, so we fed it for a few days and fell in love with it, we were going to adopt it but found out it had a micro-chip in it, so in effort to do the "right thing" we surrendered it to the local animal protection agency on October 22, 2007. They gave us the phone number of the owner and we found both numbers disconnected, this humane society, Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service, told us that they'd mail a letter to the owner telling them where their cat was, and we informed them that if they couldn't find the owner that we'd adopt the cat, we'd fallen in love with the cute thing already and badly wanted it, , we'd even purchased things for it, and we'd have given her a great life full of love.

Generally I'm not a cat person, but this was the most affectionate cat I'd ever seen, it'd cuddle up on my chest and rub it's nose all over my face, it really was a wonderful cat. On November 1, 2007 we went back by to check on the cat and were told it been shipped out clear across the state only two days after we'd surrendered it. They said they sent it to a rescue group and it had already been adopted out. Needless to say we were devestated! We'd told these people we wanted the cat if the owner could not be found. I phoned this rescue group and they said they never got the cat at all and suggested I phone SCRAPS back and find out the truth.

This is when the shock really nailed me, I finally got the truth out of SCRAPS on November 2nd, I was told the cat had been euthanized on October 28th, just six days after taking it from us and without ever bothering to contact us back after we'd explicitly told them we wanted the cat if the owner couldn't be found. They didn't even wait for return mail from the letter they said they were going to send out to the owner. In all honesty I doubt that notice was never even sent out.

They destroyed this wonderful and loving cat for no reason what-so-ever even after having been told we'd take it and give it a good home because we alread loved it! How is this right? The agency who originally adopted the cat out to the lady who had it micro-chipped is furious also, they'd have taken the cat back as well! This is no different than someone walking along and shooting a cat out of pure meaness, SCRAPS should in no way have "Protection" in their name. They destroyed this cat with as little emotion as someone stomping on a nasty bug in their kitchen. How could they ever charge anyone else with animal cruelty after doing this themselves? OMG how can this be right?

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Regards,
SnowCajunWhat is the name of your state?

moburkes

Considering that you paid nothing for the pet, you have no case. As animals are considered property, the most you'd be able to claim is your cost - which was nothing.

justalayman

I'll second Mo's post but will add that yes, it does seem like the cat was euthanized without need.

Now, since you are a new found cat lover, there are thousands of them in shelters all across the country that would love to have somebody adopt them. I'm sure you can find a very affectionate one somewhere and save its life.

SnowCajun

Considering that you paid nothing for the pet, you have no case. As animals are considered property, the most you'd be able to claim is your cost - which was nothing.
That's what Iam's told us when the tainted pet food from China they used in their dog food killed our loving Black Lab Service Dog last March. I tell ya it's been a bad year for us animal wise it seems.

Our country needs to get past this idea that a pet is only property, they are a live being, they breathe, they have hearts and a brains. A pet is endowed with life, it's a consciousness being capable of making decisions and showing emotion and love. I just don't get it, this is a stupid law, you'd think by 2007 in our development mankind would realize this by now!

I consider property something like my car, or a TV stand, or stove. I don't love inanimate objects, I don't shed tears when my coffee table leg breaks, or my rocking chair wears out. Pet owners feel their become like their children, I wouldn't have taken a million dollars for my Black Lab, she was like my best friend, she loyally helped me in life. I would have probably given my life trying to save hers if she had been in trouble, I don't think you'd find anyone doing that for a chair or a table.

Property? Bah! This is stupid. Yes I know you're right and that's the law, but it doesn't make sense and it's surely not a good law!

SnowCajun

justalayman

Our country needs to get past this idea that a pet is only property, they are a live being, they breathe, they have hearts and a brains. A pet is endowed with life, it's a consciousness being capable of making decisions and showing emotion and love
Do you feel the same about the cow that became the hamburger you ate last week?:eek:

actually I understand how you feel. I had a cat that was the greatest cat in the world and some asshat shot the thing with a pellet gun in the rectum and in the spine and paralyzed it from the lower abdomen down. Wwe had to put him down.

SnowCajun

Do you feel the same about the cow that became the hamburger you ate last week?:eek:

actually I understand how you feel. I had a cat that was the greatest cat in the world and some asshat shot the thing with a pellet gun in the rectum and in the spine and paralyzed it from the lower abdomen down. Wwe had to put him down.
I guess I just don't like killing, but in a way you're right about the cow and hamburger thing too. Still I think a pet who has lived with you and show you a great amount of affection and love is a bit different than a cow. I dunno, it's sad that anything with a brain that thinks and feels has to die to feed us. Your argument is a good point. People can be cruel in this world of ours, it's sad someone did that to your cat also, I'm sorry for you enduring that!

SnowCajun

quincy

In 2000, Tennessee became the first state in the country to provide a bill that allows pet owners to recover for infliction of emotional distress in the death of their companion animals. The Tennessee T-Bo Act outlines specific conditions under which a person can collect, but punitive damages can be awarded (up to $4000) for the loss of a pet. Other states have introduced similar bills since the 2000 passage of T-Bo, but they have failed to pass.

There are more states now, however, that acknowledge that pets have a "unique" value, and these states are authorizing pet owners to recover for pain and suffering or emotional distress. In recent years, there have been affirmed punitive damage awards of $1000 and $13,000 (in two Florida cases) and $1000 for an Hawaii pet death - all amounts far greater than the pets' "property" value. Both Idaho and New Jersey courts will consider awarding punitive damages for the wrongful death of companion animals, as well (although, to my knowledge, they have not yet).

While there have been jury awards of $100,000 and more in a few states, all have been overturned. But at least the awards are reflecting a shift away from the belief that companion animals are property.

SnowCajun

Thank you for your post quincy, that information is very interesting. I think in time all states will eventually see it that way. I hope so anyway.

SnowCajun

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">