• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Year of interlocking device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

If you choose not to drive after getting your license restored, but are required to have ignition interlocking installed in your car for 12 months after you have served your license; do you just need to have the device installed if there is a car registered to your name?

I am not trying to get around having a car or the interlocking device. I am just thinking that I might be able to rely on public transit for longer than I imagine.

Thanks

My car was still registered in my parents' names when I had to have it installed (forgot to switch it over before then). They just asked me which car I drove, and that's the one I had to have it installed on. Until I completed that requirement, I was told I would never have been able to get my license fully restored (1 month left and counting!).

EDIT: And just in case you EVER had second thoughts about having a drink and getting behind the wheel, the interlock effectively stamps them out. It's such a hassle, especially when it's 5 degrees outside and it takes 5 minutes to load up before you can blow. What a great reminder of how stupid we all were!

irish77

I can't wait.....you know that Reformed! It's all good. I know that this is just one more way for me to be wiser and more cautious.

irish77

hmmm...now should I register the car I own in my sister's name or is that even an issue if I have a suspended license?

afw

let me get this right

You do your 1 year suspension and then you can get your restricted license back.

You do not have a car. You use public transportation.

There is a mandatory 12 month ignition lock requirement.
Is this time period started immediately after you receive your restricted license?

Let's say you choose not to drive for 12 more months, avoiding the costs associated and use public transportation.

After another 12 months go by; can you then get an unrestricted license?

irish77

Is this time period started immediately after you receive your restricted license? thats what I believe

Let's say you choose not to drive for 12 more months, avoiding the costs associated and use public transportation.

After another 12 months go by; can you then get an unrestricted license?that's what I'm trying to figure out....I know after 12 months with the interlocking I get to apply for an unrestricted license....
please see my comments above....

irish77

I see... so nobody really answered your question.
well, it seems cut and dry I guess....but I know everyone's situation seems to be different. really, if you get 2 DUI's in a 10 year period, it says you have interlocking....but it also says other things that I know wont apply to me...

ungraded misdemeanor
12 month license suspension
5 days to 6 months jail time
$300 to $2,500 fine
alcohol highway safety school
treatment when ordered
1 year ignition interlock

I waited a few months after court to get my interlock. The scheduling alone was a nightmare. They were so backed up it took forever. The time period didn't start until I got it, and I couldn't even dream about having my license restored until I satisfied my 6 month interlock requirement. So I don't think you really get past this one.

I can't see where you would have problems transferring a car OUT of your name... but I don't know the DMV rules for all of that. Then again... I don't think half of the DMV workers really know either :p

irish77

damn man, that sucks. PA will probably be backed up as well. one big log jam with this crap. it's almost like you're hassling them when they ask you to do all this crap. such a joke. the damn politicians are probably loving every second of this crap. I love how most of the interlocking places say "you get a DUI in such and such county only can get your device and Finkelsteins Auto in such and such county...." hmmmmmmmmm.....

Yea that's how mine was. They told me I had to drive forever and a day away to get it installed. I got lucky though and was transferred to a branch at my job that was about 2 minutes away from the place. Made it so much easier. But yea, they scheduled me a few months in advance. There's always something to hold you up!

You don't get it for the first DUI (unless there's some mitigating circumstance I supposed). You do however get it for your first DWI. A glorious 6 months of blowing into an obnoxiously loud machine. And just imagine how much fun I had when I had to take my car to the shop. Had to give them the number to the company so they could bypass the interlock to work on the car. Usually they couldn't get them to answer the phone, so I had to leave work to come blow into my car every 15 minutes while they worked on it :rolleyes: It started off embarassing, but after a while it just became downright funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">