• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JThomas

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I am receiving child support and have applied for TANF, will that have to be paid back to the state and if so, will I have to pay it back or my ex-husband?

If you recieve TANF, it is a debt owed to the state. You do not pay it back directly but it is deducted from child support payments made by your ex. In some states, you recieve a disregard payment up to $50 each month support is paid.

Your local child support or county family services should be able to tell you more about the disregard payment amount.

Tinaa said:
Why would you apply for TANF if you are receiving CS?
You can have a court order for child support but not recieve it.

It's terrible to go through the process of obtaining an order, not recieving any or very little support and the have to ask for county assistance with your child or as in my case, children. But it does happen. Then you have people that think because we have an order (despite the fact it's not being paid) and get TANF that we are gold diggers. :rolleyes:

JThomas

I probably would not have needed to apply if my boyfriend and I hadn't split up. Since I don't work he was our only source of income and when my ex changed jobs there was a couple of weeks when I didn't get child support. :confused:

ceara19

JThomas said:
I probably would not have needed to apply if my boyfriend and I hadn't split up. Since I don't work he was our only source of income and when my ex changed jobs there was a couple of weeks when I didn't get child support. :confused:
Now that you are once again receiving child support, it is very unlikely that your TANF application will be approved.

Tinaa

Frustrated_one said:
You can have a court order for child support but not recieve it.

It's terrible to go through the process of obtaining an order, not recieving any or very little support and the have to ask for county assistance with your child or as in my case, children. But it does happen. Then you have people that think because we have an order (despite the fact it's not being paid) and get TANF that we are gold diggers. :rolleyes:
You're talking to someone who is owed $20,000+ in back support. I've been back to court more times than I can count. Don't whine to me. Get a job or two!

JThomas said:
Since I don't work he was our only source of income and when my ex changed jobs there was a couple of weeks when I didn't get child support.
I've gotta ask...Why don't you work? You are just as responsible for paying for your child's support as your boyfriend.

ceara19

Tinaa said:
You're talking to someone who is owed $20,000+ in back support. I've been back to court more times than I can count. Don't whine to me. Get a job or two!

I've gotta ask...Why don't you work? You are just as responsible for paying for your child's support as your boyfriend.
The BOYFRIEND has NO responsibility to support the child in question. The BF she is referring to a the "only source of income", isn't the child's father. The OP was relying on the child support from the father and the NEW BF's income to support HER and the child.:rolleyes:

JThomas

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem on here. I'm looking for work but I've just always had someone to support me. Please don't think I'm a gold digger, because I'm not. :(

ceara19

JThomas said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem on here. I'm looking for work but I've just always had someone to support me. Please don't think I'm a gold digger, because I'm not. :(
When you apply for government benefits because you have "just always had someone to support", it IS a problem for many people here, especially single parents that have never received child support or government assistance.

As soon as you found out that you were pregnant and unmarried, you needed to get it together and support YOUR child. When people just expect others to pick up the slack (which is EXACTLY what you did when you applied for TANF after dad only missed a couple of weeks of child support), it tends to tick off hard working, productive, tax paying adults that have done whatever it takes to do it ALONE.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh or mean, but it's the truth and you really seem to be in need of a wake up call.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Some more of OP's story:

JThomas said:
I moved out of state and didn't notify my ex-husband:mad: because since he cheated on me , which ended our marriage he does not deserve to see his child!
Thanks for giving custodial mothers a bad name. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">