• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profiling- Cheap Soup Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rstates

In any case, laws tell you what you can't do, and since you said that you cannot just accuse someone of shoplifting, there should be a law that backs up your claim.
why dont i just blow the dust off my book of law and look that up...... ha. the reason why im on this site is to figure out if there is one**************.. and im sure there is.

quincy

Okay, Rstates, I found a case from 1997 that reminds me of your soup incident, only because it seems such a small thing that most people would shrug it off and not try to seek recourse. This did not happen in North Carolina, but in Wisconsin. A man filed suit against a store and the city of Franklin. Wisconsin, claiming the store and the city smeared his reputation by falsely accusing him of shoplifting a 5-cent peanut. He sought $1.38 million. . . . . but he lost.

You could certainly follow this Wisconsin man's lead and sue the store for falsely accusing you of trying to steal soup. You can seek a million or more in damages. And you can spend thousands and thousands to bring such a suit. But, I have a feeling, like the man in Wisconsin, you would lose - and be out your thousands and thousands.

moburkes

you obviously have a one sided opinion. maybe go on and tell another scenario - senior member? and NO you cant just accuse someone of shoplifting there are many cases against false accusations and im trying to find out more about these cases. this is a well established store with many cameras to clarify your statement.
If you're REALLY looking for assistance, then you probably shouldn't tell ME why my response to you is wrong - simply because you don't agree with it.

Rstates

Okay, Rstates, I found a case from 1997 that reminds me of your soup incident, only because it seems such a small thing that most people would shrug it off and not try to seek recourse. This did not happen in North Carolina, but in Wisconsin. A man filed suit against a store and the city of Franklin. Wisconsin, claiming the store and the city smeared his reputation by falsely accusing him of shoplifting a 5-cent peanut. He sought $1.38 million. . . . . but he lost.

You could certainly follow this Wisconsin man's lead and sue the store for falsely accusing you of trying to steal soup. You can seek a million or more in damages. And you can spend thousands and thousands to bring such a suit. But, I have a feeling, like the man in Wisconsin, you would lose - and be out your thousands and thousands.
well if that was over a peanut, phew ....this my friend is much bigger were talking about a cup of noudles - orange chicken flavore. i figure im due at least 2.5 million? well thanks fer letting me blow off steem abowt getting embarrrased yesarday, and thanks for macking me out too be a fool. its been fun.

TinkerBelleLuvr

regardless of whether your skin tone is purple or green or orange, people generally LEAVE a store with purchased items. If you are ENTERING a store with an item, it's normally for a return or exchange that you would bring to the attention of a store clerk.

How is the clerk to know, without you telling him/her, that you are ENTERING with an item purchased from another location and going to use their electricity and heating unit to make your lunch for FREE?

quincy

Rstates, I think $2.5 million sounds about right for a cup of noodles. :)
And there is nothing foolish about being upset about being falsely accused of something. It is a horrible feeling. It's just not worth a whole lot of money usually.

Jacon89

Since this thread has served it's purpose, I think I'll hijack it for a quick second and see what you guys think about this.

If you're a minor in a store (around 13-14), and some strange man suddenly comes up behind you, grabs you by the arm and forcefully drags you to a small room in the store and then proceeds to accuse you of theft because a clerk apparently saw you stealing something, and then tries telling you that you can't leave the room until you remove your shoes, socks, and perform a routine search of your pockets and clothing (without a police officer or even a parent present or remotely aware of what was happening), and you hadn't attempted to steal a thing, would there be a case?

The Occultist

Since this thread has served it's purpose, I think I'll hijack it for a quick second and see what you guys think about this.

If you're a minor in a store (around 13-14), and some strange man suddenly comes up behind you, grabs you by the arm and forcefully drags you to a small room in the store and then proceeds to accuse you of theft because a clerk apparently saw you stealing something, and then tries telling you that you can't leave the room until you remove your shoes, socks, and perform a routine search of your pockets and clothing (without a police officer or even a parent present or remotely aware of what was happening), and you hadn't attempted to steal a thing, would there be a case?
Just because you feel a thread is done does not mean you may hijack it. Please start your own thread. And yes, store security has the right to detain you and make a citizen's arrest.

quincy

I, personally, would object to having to remove articles of clothing and to being searched. It is an invasion of privacy. If the store suspects you shoplifted something, they can't just pull you into a back room and do a strip search. Store security can detain you - nothing more than that. The store employee was wrong to do what he did.

Generally, an owner or employee cannot look inside a person's bag or purse without permission, unless they actually saw something being placed inside it, or if the item stolen is in plain view. The store owner or employee should contact the police if there needs to be further investigation, otherwise they should let the suspected shoplifter go. Any physical contact with a suspected shoplifter can lead to charges. If the suspected shoplifter is detained in a separate room, two employees, one of the same sex as the shoplifter, should be with the shoplifter, to avoid charges of sexual misconduct. There should be no action taken against a minor if a parent is not present, to avoid charges.

In addition, it is wise for an owner/employee to speak with the shoplifter privately and not loudly accuse the person of a crime in front of other customers, or speak rudely or offensively to the person, as charges of defamation can arise.

Most people will not sue because it is expensive to sue. If a storeowner handles shoplifters properly, it eliminates the risk of a suit, however.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">