• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He doesnt pay, lawyers doing nothing. Foreclosure, car to be repoed, kids not insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nextwife

divorce is just beginning, i cant work because i have no skills, no degree, and cannot speak english well. its just not realistic finding a job.
Oh really? My FIL came to the US as a young, emaciated man after WW2, no education past 6th grade, could barely speak English, and he found a way to earn a legal income, and thrived. So did parents of other people I know who lost everything, including their family during the war, and came here with only the shirts on their backs.

My mom had no skills, no degree, and grew up in a non english speaking home, but when my father became ill with a brain tumor, she went out and FOUND a job anyway, because she needed to do so. YOU chose to take on all that debt, and to buy whatever you charged. YOU have a responsibility to your creditors to work and pay your debts. Your pay agreement with your creditors doesn't say you only agree to pay them back ONLY if you get money from someone else to do so.

If he earns 100k a year, his net is WAY less than that. Your adult kids also need jobs. Both husband and I worked while in college. I worked more than one job. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Checkking

ill see how the sons can get jobs. it isnt easy having a job taking up your time and keeping up with difficult classes as a FULLTIME student. yea im sure there are geniuses that can pull it off but still. add in that the returns on a min-wage job may not be worth the time they occupy.

as for me, a min wage job wont do ANYTHING. it is simply not enough to live. in 2-weeks long of work i may pay off 1 of 23 bills that need to be paid.

anyways, do you believe the car he bought as a gift for my son should be repossessed because he decided to stop paying for it?

he also commited fraud and forged my sons signature to pull out a student loan to pay off a mortgage a year ago, can this be used in court against him? how should my son approach this to sue him?

Last edited:

Proserpina

ill see how the sons can get jobs. it isnt easy having a job taking up your time and keeping up with difficult classes. yea im sure there are geniuses that can pull it off but still. add in that the returns on a min-wage job may not be worth the time they occupy.

as for me, a min wage job wont do ANYTHING. it is simply not enough to live. in 2-weeks long of work i may pay off 2 of 23 bills that need to be paid.

anyways, do you believe the car he bought as a gift for my son should be repossessed because he decided to stop paying for it?

he also commited fraud and forged my sons signature to pull out a student loan to pay off a mortgage a year ago, can this be used in court against him? how should my son approach this to sue him?
Why didn't you do anything about this alleged fraud last year?

mistoffolees

He wouldn't have to pay Social security taxes either because he would have NO INCOME if he paid her 8k per month. He would be working for free -- aka slavery. Your ex wife is an idiot quite frankly -- and no I do not know her.
That's why she's my EX wife. ;-)

I haven't looked it up, but I think he'd still have to pay social security taxes even if his deductions were greater than his income. I think FICA is based on gross income, not net. (Not that it matters since her demands are ridiculous either way).

mistoffolees

ill see how the sons can get jobs. it isnt easy having a job taking up your time and keeping up with difficult classes as a FULLTIME student. yea im sure there are geniuses that can pull it off but still. add in that the returns on a min-wage job may not be worth the time they occupy.
That's their choice - they're adults. If they can't handle a job while in school, they can always work full time and go to school part time. Lots of people manage to support themselves while they're in school - it doesn't require a genius, just someone with a bit of work ethic. I put myself through school as well as graduate school without relying on my parents to support me.

as for me, a min wage job wont do ANYTHING. it is simply not enough to live.
Then you need to adjust your expenses to fit with what you can earn. Or get some skills so you can earn more. Or work two jobs. Or do something to get this sense of entitlement out of your head.

Checkking

That's their choice - they're adults. If they can't handle a job while in school, they can always work full time and go to school part time. Lots of people manage to support themselves while they're in school - it doesn't require a genius, just someone with a bit of work ethic. I put myself through school as well as graduate school without relying on my parents to support me.
they have financial aid for school so they dont NEED a job to occupy time.

Last edited:

Checkking

Then you need to adjust your expenses to fit with what you can earn. Or get some skills so you can earn more. Or work two jobs. Or do something to get this sense of entitlement out of your head.
a sense of entitlement? i want my kids to have a place to live, and to let my son keep the car he gave as a gift. they are registered dependent on income taxes. do you know what dependent is?
maybe you shouldnt generalize someone and call them entitled when you dont know them?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

a sense of entitlement? i want my kids to have a place to live, and to let my son keep the car he gave as a gift. they are registered dependent on income taxes he filled out. maybe you shouldnt generalize someone and call them entitled when you dont know them?
I don't need to know you. You're spelled it out here.

You think you're entitled to 100% of your ex's salary.
You think your kids shouldn't have to work while they're in school - and entitled to support from your husband.
You think you're entitled to live without getting a job.

Sure sounds like a sense of entitlement.

Now, if you don't think you're entitled to all those things, go out and get a job, learn to live with the court ordered temporary spousal support, and tell the kids they have to start paying for part of household expenses.

mistoffolees

they have financial aid for school so they dont NEED a job to occupy time.
They don't? Are they paying for their share of household expenses? If so, then stop whining about having two kids at home. If they're NOT paying their share of household expenses, they need to get a job.

What part of that don't you understand?

Checkking

I don't need to know you. You're spelled it out here.

You think you're entitled to 100% of your ex's salary.
You think your kids shouldn't have to work while they're in school - and entitled to support from your husband.
You think you're entitled to live without getting a job.

Sure sounds like a sense of entitlement.

Now, if you don't think you're entitled to all those things, go out and get a job, learn to live with the court ordered temporary spousal support, and tell the kids they have to start paying for part of household expenses.
4k/month is not his salary. he gets $115k per year

Last edited:

Checkking

They don't? Are they paying for their share of household expenses? If so, then stop whining about having two kids at home. If they're NOT paying their share of household expenses, they need to get a job.

What part of that don't you understand?
do you know what dependent is?

mistoffolees

Oh really? My FIL came to the US as a young, emaciated man after WW2, no education past 6th grade, could barely speak English, and he found a way to earn a legal income, and thrived. So did parents of other people I know who lost everything, including their family during the war, and came here with only the shirts on their backs.
My grandfather was in the same boat - the shirt on his back (I think he had one extra shirt), a few lira in his pockets, and nothing else. He was about 16 at the time and no education. When my grandmother came over, she had even less. I'm not sure about my mother's side - they came over in the late 17th century, so I don't know what their status was, but I can guarantee that their life was tougher than most people have today.

divona2000

Checkking;2437757 ...as a FULLTIME student...add in that the returns on a min-wage job may not be worth the time they occupy... ...as for me said:
It will be worth it if they want to keep the car.

But you are not 'living' now if you can't pay the bills, are you? Working 4 weeks, and paying 2 bills, is better than paying nothing. In the divorce, you will likely be imputed a minimum income, even if you choose not to actually earn it. You are only hurting yourself by not working.

Who's name is the car in? Dad, or son? If it isn't paid for, the lender will repo it, and driving without insurance is a very bad idea.

Checkking

My grandfather was in the same boat - the shirt on his back (I think he had one extra shirt), a few lira in his pockets, and nothing else. He was about 16 at the time and no education. When my grandmother came over, she had even less. I'm not sure about my mother's side - they came over in the late 17th century, so I don't know what their status was, but I can guarantee that their life was tougher than most people have today.
min wage job doesnt help with anything when you have to pay a $300k of mortgage , house payments, and trying to keep a car he gave as a gift from getting repoed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">