• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He doesnt pay, lawyers doing nothing. Foreclosure, car to be repoed, kids not insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistoffolees

Yes, actually there are. It says basically that the car was a gift and therefore, you can do whatever you please with it, including sell if if you can't afford it (which, you can't).
Actually, it's not clear that it was a gift. Since we are only hearing one side of the story (and a very self-centered side, at that), we don't know what actually happened. For all we know, the father said he'd sign for the car but it was up to the son to make the payments - which might be a reasonable thing to do.

Checkking

Actually, it's not clear that it was a gift. Since we are only hearing one side of the story (and a very self-centered side, at that), we don't know what actually happened. For all we know, the father said he'd sign for the car but it was up to the son to make the payments - which might be a reasonable thing to do.
yea im sure he, the person who told him not to get a job so he can focus on studying , and also the same person who gave him the car as a gift, also told him to make the payments

youre quite the genius bro. that inference you made was very intelligent.

mistoffolees

does Relative income of the parties matter?

"In U.S. states that recognize a right of the spouses to live according to the means to which they have become accustomed', alimony attempts to adjust the incomes of the spouses so that they are able to approximate, as best possible, their prior lifestyle."
Yes, but if you take 100% of his income, he can't live at all, much less at his former lifestyle.

You're ignoring quite a few things:
1. You are expected to support yourself to the best of your ability. You can not just sit on your rear all day and expect him to support you.
2. Alimony in most states is temporary. Even if you can get alimony (which is not guaranteed), you will still need to learn to live within your means since it will end some day.
3. You already have a court order for $1,100 in temporary support. That's an indication of how much you can expect in alimony - not $4 K per month or $8 K per month. And temporary support is often even higher than court ordered alimony.

You've already gotten the relevant advice (repeatedly) and keep ignoring it. The bottom line is that your sense of entitlement is not going to win this one. You need to do the following:
1. Sell the house. You can't afford it.
2. Get a job - the best job you can get for now, and then learn some skill so you can improve your earning ability for when the alimony ends.
3. Teach your children to become independent - which means contributing to household expenses.
4. If you can't afford the car and appropriate insurance, sell it and either buy something cheaper or use public transportation.

The world doesn't owe you a living, nor does your ex. Since you've been married 23 years, you are easily old enough to learn to support yourself.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If you want to live in a $300k house, drive a nice car, and support your adult children while they go to school you need money. Your ex-husband is not going to be required to provide enough of that money to enable you to sit on your ass and do nothing.

If you can't get a job that provides enough income to pay for your current lifestyle, you have to change your lifestyle.

If you think it's not possible for you to end up living in the street, keep sitting there doing nothing but whining that you want someone to pay all your bills instead of being proactive, and see where you end up.

The sooner you accept reality, the better off you'll be.

divona2000

does Relative income of the parties matter?

"In U.S. states that recognize a right of the spouses to live according to the means to which they have become accustomed', alimony attempts to adjust the incomes of the spouses so that they are able to approximate, as best possible, their prior lifestyle."
You need to understand that this does not happen in the real world.
You could end up with no support ordered, and then what will you do?
Understand that just because you did live that way does not mean you will continue that way!

[I was married for 19 years, his income was 5 times greater than mine, he voluntarily gave me money during our separation-but the judge ordered no spousal support to me. Judge told me I was a 'healthy young woman' and could support myself. (I was mid-40's, have a heart murmur and scoliosis)].

Now keep reading and repeating this until you get it:

Understand that just because you did live that way does not mean you will continue that way!

Last edited:

mistoffolees

permanent alimony isnt uncommon when the marriage is over 10 years
Actually, it IS uncommon.

But since you're such an expert in divorce matters, why are you posting questions here? And why haven't you gotten a job as an attorney - since you apparently know everything?

mistoffolees

yea im sure he, the person who told him not to get a job so he can focus on studying , and also the same person who gave him the car as a gift, also told him to make the payments

youre quite the genius bro. that inference you made was very intelligent.
Now that you've descended from a sense of greed and entitlement into nothing more than personal attacks on the people who are trying to help you for free, I'm through trying to answer your questions.

Good luck living in your dream world.

Checkking

ive had people suggest living in section-8 housing, sell my cars (which arent owned by me so i cant do), and get a min wage job

how is this even close to my "prior lifestyle" with my dependent sons? i can understand minimizing expenses in half to something, sure.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

ive had people suggest living in section-8 housing, sell my cars (which arent owned by me so i cant do), and get a min wage job

how is this even close to my "prior lifestyle" with my dependent son?
This poster and the OP are not EVEN remotely the same person. You guys are having your chain yanked.

Checkking

This poster and the OP are not EVEN remotely the same person. You guys are having your chain yanked.
no chains being yanked.

im looking to see if there are any motions or something a lawyer can do that can increase temperary alimony for now

Last edited:

CourtClerk

no chains being yanked.

im looking to see if there are any motions or something a lawyer can do that can increase temperary alimony for now
And how is it that if you can't speak English well, you speak well enough to communicate on this forum? (complete with smart, snide remarks)

Checkking

And how is it that if you can't speak English well, you speak well enough to communicate on this forum? (complete with smart, snide remarks)
his remarks were pretty snide. i would consider what i said nothing compared to what he was generalizing about me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">