• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to work in unsanitary situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GR1337

I'm trying to find the rules for compost disposal and what tools must be supplied in order to safely dispose of organic materials in Ohio.

This employer continuously requires workers to empty compost (Eggs, meat, expired milk, yogurt, etc.) buckets into a compost bin and offers no protective eye wear, gloves, or mask due to simple neglect of the supervisors. This is a very serious health hazard. Many illnesses and diseases are directly linked to rotting material.

I'm very familiar with infection control standards in the health care field, but not retail. I do know that there must be some sort of safety precautions mandated by the state for this situation.

Any answers or links would be very much appreciated.

xylene

Absolutely no PPE (personal protective equipment) is required to empty a slop bucket.

Wash your hands afterward.

Don't stick you hands in your mouth or eat until you do.

If you have a health condition that leaves you so immunocompromised that you can't be exposed to normal environmental germs, consider different work.

GR1337

It's not just 'emptying a slop bucket'. Its actually handling the waste. Separating it to different bins by hand, etc.

See OSH Answers: Farmer's Lung

This is just one of many.

Handling raw, biological waste always requires PPE. Washing your hands does not protect your lungs or eyes from airborne bacteria/mold.

Regardless, there are rules that regulate biological waste management which is what I'm looking for. Judging by the type of answer given, I've obviously came to the wrong forum.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: The term 'Slop bucket' actually refers to a container used to keep human excrement.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While you're at it, perhaps you can show us the PPE required for any woman (or man, for that matter) to clean out the refrigerator after a power outage, for example.

justalayman

Handling raw, biological waste always requires PPE. Washing your hands does not protect your lungs or eyes from airborne bacteria/mold.
how do you get from what sounds like outdated product from a grocery store to human excrement?

Maybe if you explained what this is for, it might help somebody figure out what you are looking for.
Some safety requirements are occupation specific rather than hazard specific.

Last edited:

xylene

I don't know where you people come from but a slop bucket is what you use to slop the hogs.
If one had hogs, then one be placing the exact same things in it. ;)

And of course, by either definition, to safely and lawfully use it, OSHA slop bucket regulations mandate you wear a full face respirator (preferably with air supply), single use tyvek suit, 2mm neoprene gloves (taped) and a hard hat with face shield and hearing protection. :rolleyes:

People blame Obama, but these cumbersome composting regulations go back to Nixon.

Beth3

I'm trying to find the rules for compost disposal and what tools must be supplied in order to safely dispose of organic materials in Ohio.

This employer continuously requires workers to empty compost (Eggs, meat, expired milk, yogurt, etc.) buckets into a compost bin and offers no protective eye wear, gloves, or mask due to simple neglect of the supervisors. This is a very serious health hazard. Many illnesses and diseases are directly linked to rotting material.

I'm very familiar with infection control standards in the health care field, but not retail. I do know that there must be some sort of safety precautions mandated by the state for this situation.

Any answers or links would be very much appreciated.
This stuff isn't required by OSHA for the job you're doing and it's not expensive either. Stop by the hardware store and get yourself a box of disposable gloves, a pair of plastic safety glasses and a face mask if you prefer. You're free to wear them all at work if you'd care to.

xylene

This stuff isn't required by OSHA for the job you're doing and it's not expensive either. Stop by the hardware store and get yourself a box of disposable gloves, a pair of plastic safety glasses and a face mask if you prefer. You're free to wear them all at work if you'd care to.
An employer would be within their rights to insist that an employee not wear a mask, even if it was BYO.

Do you wear these things when you clean out your own fridge? Also expired milk is used in baking. You're not mentioning any actual hazards. The milk's past the sell-by date, but you don't say that the rest is. Regardless, just wash your hands afterward. It's not like you're handling dead roadside animals that have ben sitting in the sun for a week.

CJane

It's not just 'emptying a slop bucket'. Its actually handling the waste. Separating it to different bins by hand, etc.

See OSH Answers: Farmer's Lung

This is just one of many.

Regardless, there are rules that regulate biological waste management which is what I'm looking for. Judging by the type of answer given, I've obviously came to the wrong forum.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: The term 'Slop bucket' actually refers to a container used to keep human excrement.
So. You're handling HAY and other CROPS that are DUSTY/MOLDY?

Or you're handling compostable waste from a retail (grocery store) location?

How often are these 'buckets' sorted and disposed of?

Why is the material selected for composting? Is it simply because it's beyond the 'sell by' date?

I have a 'slop bucket' under my kitchen table. Every bit of non-meat scrap food goes in there. It's nearly full, so later, I'll go dump it in the compost bin. I will not wear gloves or a respirator to do so. I likely will not end up with Farmer's Lung (which in horses we refer to as heaves, and which is never caused by expired milk).

justalayman

Hey!!!

I just found a jug of sour milk in my fridge. Do I call the EPA? It's not work related so I suppose I don't have to worry about OSHA. I'm heading out to get gloves, face shield, SCBA, and a full hazmat suit with boots.

anything I'm missing?

CJane

Hey!!!

I just found a jug of sour milk in my fridge. Do I call the EPA? It's not work related so I suppose I don't have to worry about OSHA. I'm heading out to get gloves, face shield, SCBA, and a full hazmat suit with boots.

anything I'm missing?
You should probably get your Mad Cow vaccination before you handle it. Just in case.

sandyclaus

Hey!!!

anything I'm missing?
You should probably get your Mad Cow vaccination before you handle it. Just in case.
And don't forget your tinfoil cap, either. Never know what could be lurking in those expired milk cartons...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">