• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Mother-in-Laws Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

single317dad

Not that people don't forgive back support in exchange for allowing a stepparent adoption; I've seen it done. You just better not walk into court and state it that way.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Not that people don't forgive back support in exchange for allowing a stepparent adoption; I've seen it done. You just better not walk into court and state it that way.
Some states do not allow the selling of children like that by statute. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I take huge offense to that and don't think it was called for. I thought relinquishing ones parental rights negates their obligation to child support.
You can take all the offense you want but if you have thoughts of forgiving his arrearages for his agreeing to relinguish that is selling your child and it is offensive for you to state such a thing AND it is equivocable to selling or buying your child.

Lixim

I would hope that she couldn't get the rights. As long as you can prove general concern that she might expose your boys to your ex then I don't think she can get the rights. Obviously with aiding your ex she is showing that she doesn't have the boys best interest in mind. I hope that you and your children can find a safe solution to this problem. What a grandma....

CSO286

I would hope that she couldn't get the rights. As long as you can prove general concern that she might expose your boys to your ex then I don't think she can get the rights. Obviously with aiding your ex she is showing that she doesn't have the boys best interest in mind. I hope that you and your children can find a safe solution to this problem. What a grandma....
Maybe you should avoid ressurecting old threads?????

It's called necroposting and it is frowned upon.

Last edited:

LdiJ

This business of the protection orders has nothing whatsoever to do with the paternal grandmother’s rights of access to your twin boys.

Her rights of visitation are governed by Section 38-129 of the Kansas Statutes as upheld as constitutional in Skov v. Wicker. 272 Kan. 240 (2001).

You of course would have the right to contest such an application. But the fact that you have allowed visits in the past and no intervening material change of circumstances of her doing would not serve you well.
You clearly are not familiar with third party visitation law/cases.

She has no "right of visitation". What grandparents in Kansas have is standing to sue, in limited circumstances, to attempt to obtain visitation rights. Kansas law enumerates no specific rights to grandparents at all, other than standing to sue in limited circumstances.

Also, the fact that mom allowed unsupervised visits in the past and is no longer willing to do so is very much due to a material change in circumstances, and that material change in circumstance is that grandma cannot be trusted to keep the children away from her son, who is restrained from being around the children.

However, mom doesn't need a material change in circumstances to decide that grandma can no longer have unsupervised access to her children. That is mom's right as stated by the USSC in Troxel vs Granville.

Last edited:

jkgreen78

Update!

I forgot to update after we went to court.

Not only did my ex-mother-in-law lose the court case, the judge ordered her to pay all my attorney fees. He called her "arrogant" many times.

I have a feeling she is going to take me to court and try this all over again. She has the money to do so....

Just Blue

I forgot to update after we went to court.

Not only did my ex-mother-in-law lose the court case, the judge ordered her to pay all my attorney fees. He called her "arrogant" many times.

I have a feeling she is going to take me to court and try this all over again. She has the money to do so....
What EXACTLY did the Judge say? Was the case dismissed with or without Prejudice? :confused:

SESmama

But did the judge dismiss the case with predjudice? If s/he did then I don't believe ex-mil can take you back to court with the same set of circumstances. She would have to bring a whole new case to court. Now, that does not mean she can't appeal this case to a higher court BUT she has to show a mistake made by the judge. Based on what the senior posters here have stated that can be very very difficult and quite expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">