• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about basic inmate rights/privilages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

2) access to cleaning supplies? Ummmmm.....they are living in jail cells that are not that big, the toilets and sinks are most likely one piece--thus limited cracks and crevices. Inmates aren't handed cleaning supplies because those supplies can (and have been) used as weapons against guards and other inmates.
so they are to live in squalor? How do you propose they clean those toilets, sinks, and showers if not given the supplies to do it with?

3) There is no "fowl" play in jail. Last I checked, chickens, ducks, etc. were not allowed in jail. Now, if there is FOUL play? That's a different story. But first, you would have to be there and see what is going on. As someone who HAS had experience with inmate populations (first hand, and second hand through my sister and niece who were employees of the Texas DoC, and assigned to a Max Sec. facility, and my Ex husband who was a jailer in a county lock up): INMATES LIE. INMATES make a big deal out of things when there is nothing there!
4) Mail was delivered to the outside world. #1--whether you believe it or not, the mail is "screened" (not censored) but screened. #2--just because she wrote on April 1, doesn't mean it actually got sent out on April 2! Most places have a schedule of when mail is picked up to be sent out, they don't do a mail drop every day!
it can be censored as well but what's the point again?

2 weeks is excessive. and they don't do a mail drop every day? Um, the post office can pick it up every day if the jail will notify them of the need.

And those friends and families are often in denial that their loved one is in fact a CRIMINAL who will do and say whatever it takes to get out of trouble or cause trouble.
but as was stated, the girl in question has not been convicted of anything yet. Do we punish those that are merely accused? That's rhetorical because the answer is yes, we do.

Perhaps, you should be a little more wise that your friend is in jail--and jail changes people. It could be that your friend just isn't happy with her circumstances and thinks she deserves better. To get the better? She's gonna have to quit making bad decisions, and start taking responsibility.
so what if she is innocent?

Ladyback1

so they are to live in squalor? How do you propose they clean those toilets, sinks, and showers if not given the supplies to do it with?

2 weeks is excessive. and they don't do a mail drop every day? Um, the post office can pick it up every day if the jail will notify them of the need.

but as was stated, the girl in question has not been convicted of anything yet. Do we punish those that are merely accused? That's rhetorical because the answer is yes, we do.

They do not live in squalor. The showers are not in the cells. The showers are a common area. The showers are cleaned by the inmates assigned to clean the common areas and/or jail staff. The metal sink and toilet? Unless someone has been ill in the cell, the toilet is pretty much self cleaning. The sink? Wipe it out with a towel.

If an inmate drops a letter into the "outgoing" mail slot/box it doesn't mean that the letter goes to the post office the next day. It may be a couple to a few days before the outgoing mail is collected from each pod or section. And then the mail is screened. Finally the letter is actually mailed. And goodness only knows how long the USPS will take.

OP has stated two different things: That her friend hasn't been sentenced yet (which indicates she has already had a trial). She also states that her friend is waiting on trial.
Now, either the OP is a tad confused, or her friend has been accused of more than one felony, was adjudicated for one (or more) and is waiting on sentencing and trial for the other accusations.

justalayman

=Ladyback1;3258927]They do not live in squalor.
ever been there? I'm guessing not.

The showers are not in the cells. The showers are a common area. The showers are cleaned by the inmates assigned to clean the common areas and/or jail staff.
depends where you are. Around here, the residents of the pod clean them. They are not given any cleanser and brushes or anything else. and there is a common toilet along with the shower. Again, cleanser is not something that is given with any regularity and no utensils are give and no rubber gloves. Do you want to clean a common toilet where you have no idea what diseases the people using it have without as much as a brush?

The metal sink and toilet? Unless someone has been ill in the cell, the toilet is pretty much self cleaning.
not even close. To start with, while they are stainless steel, the porelien in your toilet at home smoother (smoother means less will stick to it). Would you let your toilet go for...well, based on your statement, forever without cleaning it? is that acceptable to you?

The sink? Wipe it out with a towel.
wow, that does so much good. Either your home is a toxic waste dump by now or I suspect you use something more than a rag to clean the sinks around your house.

If an inmate drops a letter into the "outgoing" mail slot/box it doesn't mean that the letter goes to the post office the next day. It may be a couple to a few days before the outgoing mail is collected from each pod or section. And then the mail is screened. Finally the letter is actually mailed. And goodness only knows how long the USPS will take.
the USPS is quite efficient. I can mail something across the country for a half a dollar and it takes a few days. The point is how long the jail takes to release the mail. The mail that is time sensitive gets mailed the same way as all the other mail. A delay of a couple weeks (like the OP is speaking of) could be the difference between freedom or continued incarceration.

OP has stated two different things: That her friend hasn't been sentenced yet (which indicates she has already had a trial). She also states that her friend is waiting on trial.
Now, either the OP is a tad confused, or her friend has been accused of more than one felony, was adjudicated for one (or more) and is waiting on sentencing and trial for the other accusations.
I saw this:

I know the girls in there arent angels, but my friend is a genuine person stuck in there before her trial.
she did also say this:

She hasnt been sentenced yet, and i want to help her as much as i can. I imagine if she caused a stir it can only backfire on her given her environment.
but if she has not had a trial, then she also has not been sentenced. Yes, it does sound a bit odd but there was nothing stating she has been convicted, at least that I saw.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you make the 5 minute commute to visit her in person rather than corresponding once a month. She will appreciate it more.

FlyingRon

You'd get better info on this if you went to prisontalk.com. This forum isn't so much for internal prison issues.

dave33

They do not live in squalor. The showers are not in the cells. The showers are a common area. The showers are cleaned by the inmates assigned to clean the common areas and/or jail staff. The metal sink and toilet? Unless someone has been ill in the cell, the toilet is pretty much self cleaning. The sink? Wipe it out with a towel.

Pretty much everything you said is wrong. Inmates are often given cleaning supplies, toilets are not "self cleaning"and the inmates are expected to keep their cells clean. That means more than wiping out the sink with a towel.

Also, the fact that she has not been sentenced does not "indicate she has already had a trial". Quite to the contrary.

It is a good thing that it is obvious that you have never ghad the displeasure of being in jail. I just do not know why that you insist on giving your opinion which you state as fact about something that you do not understand?

CivilianKano

Civiliankano, The problems you are having are common. Unfortunately the fact is you will not be able to fight the prison with any sort of favorable outcome, lawyer or no. One thing that you said is very important, "she isn't sentenced yet". Different laws and prison policies effct sentenced and unsentenced inmates. If you are not sentenced than you have very little. Life will change dramatically when your friend is sentenced. Many prison systems make an unsentenced inmates life a living hell (some would say to encourage the person to take a plea deal become sentenced to have access to more privileges and generally abetter life).

It does seem a bit ridiculous that the person (by law) that is innocent is subject to misery. The fact is that most (if not all) prisons are over full and the limited resources go to the sentenced inmates.

My advice is at this point do not waste your time and resources. Wait for her to be sentenced or released. goodluck.

Also, do not contact the administration and bring attention to your friend. Some very nefarious things happen behind the walls and as the governor of my state put it when negotiating with the staff, "these are not honorable people I am dealing with". Many of them act like inmates themselves so you do not want to bring unwanted attention to your friend. She is in a very vulnerable position.
Thank you very much for your conscious and understanding response. I also know exactly what you mean about unwanted attention, i would never name the specific inmate for this reason. I know she cant do much to complain either while she is IN the system for this same reason, that is why i wanted to help her out. thank you again

CivilianKano

2 weeks is not unreasonable given the standards of processing prison mail. While you and your friend are genuinely communicating, you know that there is illegal activity and communication daily - it goes well beyond simple reading, there are some amazing methods used, particularly through gangs. If you feel that the offenders are not being given their rights to xyz treatment/resources, perhaps you can contact an offender advocacy group. Yes, while it has been shown that innocent people go to prison, it is rare and certainly reasonable for posters to call them guilty as many of the offenders made that statement themselves in court.
it is not prison, it is a country jail 5 minutes from my house and according to the person in property i spoke to, they told there is a daily mail drop. This is why i was concerned about it taking 2 weeks; if someone has little ways to communicate to the outside world and has no way to file a grievance while inside jail- it can be a potentially hazardous situation. Thank you for your informative, respectful response and your time.

CivilianKano

You might want to contact your area ACLU and relate to them the problems your friend is having with mail delivery.

Here is a link to an article written by Lisa Roose-Church that appeared in the Detroit Free Press yesterday, covering problems with mail delivery in Michigan's Livingston County Jail: http://www.freep.com/article/20140416/NEWS06/304160068/ACLU-Livingston-County-Jail-inmate-letters-postcards. The problems are not confined to Michigan.

Here is a link to an ACLU pdf file you may find interesting: http://www.aclu.org/files/images/asset_upload_file863_25741.pdf

Or you can contact a "real attorney" in your area to discuss the matter.
Thank you so much for these links and resources. I will investigate further and possibly contact an attorney. Sorry if i offended you by saying "real attorney", that wasnt meant to sound condescending; it was more of a reactionary to some of the snarky responses on here that were of little use to me until yours. thanks again for your time.

Silverplum

Thank you so much for these links and resources. I will investigate further and possibly contact an attorney. Sorry if i offended you by saying "real attorney", that wasnt meant to sound condescending; it was more of a reactionary to some of the snarky responses on here that were of little use to me until yours. thanks again for your time.
You're ever-so welcome.

:cool:

CivilianKano

1) if they are on "lock-down" they will not necessarily be given access to the outdoors (and many other amenities).
2) access to cleaning supplies? Ummmmm.....they are living in jail cells that are not that big, the toilets and sinks are most likely one piece--thus limited cracks and crevices. Inmates aren't handed cleaning supplies because those supplies can (and have been) used as weapons against guards and other inmates.
3) There is no "fowl" play in jail. Last I checked, chickens, ducks, etc. were not allowed in jail. Now, if there is FOUL play? That's a different story. But first, you would have to be there and see what is going on. As someone who HAS had experience with inmate populations (first hand, and second hand through my sister and niece who were employees of the Texas DoC, and assigned to a Max Sec. facility, and my Ex husband who was a jailer in a county lock up): INMATES LIE. INMATES make a big deal out of things when there is nothing there!
4) Mail was delivered to the outside world. #1--whether you believe it or not, the mail is "screened" (not censored) but screened. #2--just because she wrote on April 1, doesn't mean it actually got sent out on April 2! Most places have a schedule of when mail is picked up to be sent out, they don't do a mail drop every day!

Now, while you have certain expectations--The public servant also has to deal with all sorts of friends and families who are bent out of shape because their loved one is in jail. And those friends and families are often in denial that their loved one is in fact a CRIMINAL who will do and say whatever it takes to get out of trouble or cause trouble.

Perhaps, you should be a little more wise that your friend is in jail--and jail changes people. It could be that your friend just isn't happy with her circumstances and thinks she deserves better. To get the better? She's gonna have to quit making bad decisions, and start taking responsibility.
I came on here in with some legal questions to help a dear friend; not to be disrespected by your smark aleck, insulting and presumptive remarks- this may be the internet but have some dignity when you masquerade as a professional. This response exemplifies no legal understanding and serves no one except your own measly satisfaction. Thanks for nothing.

CivilianKano

Jailer here-

Prisoners have the right to food, clothing and shelter. They also have the right to contact and speak to their attorney, attend law library and have recreation space. The rec space does not necessarily need to be outside. They have the right to use the telephone if behavior is appropriate for non attorney calls.

My jail has over a thousand prisoners. I often get complaints about the time it takes for people to receive mail. There are several things at work here:

All mail is screened or scaned- thats a lot of mail
the post office often processes mail at a location far away from where the mail was sent- hence, you may be 5 miles away but the processing center is 50 or more.

It always alarms me when prisoners complain they can not use the grievance system. I would suggest you speak to your local ombudsmans office to resolve your issues.
thank you so much for your respectful and informative response. I really appreciate your time.

CivilianKano

This person obviously has no real experience or profound consideration to submit. thank you for your response but i would not bother lending this comment any credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">